Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Computer Geeks- Help please!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In anticipation of the game tonight I've just bought a VGA-HDMI converter so I can connect my laptop to my TV. Everything seems to work but every 20 seconds or so the TV screen goes black for about a second.

Any ideas what's causing this or how to fix it? Cheers!

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
In anticipation of the game tonight I've just bought a VGA-HDMI converter so I can connect my laptop to my TV. Everything seems to work but every 20 seconds or so the TV screen goes black for about a second.

Can I ask where you got the converter from? I have been trying to get one for ages?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
All connections tight. So it's either a problem with the HDMI cable, the VGA cable or the converter. This is very irritating!

Smeagull

Mar 20, 2012

How good is the laptop and what's the resolution that you're trying to output to your TV?

It could be that the graphics chip is not quite up to the task.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
How good is the laptop and what's the resolution that you're trying to output to your TV?

It could be that the graphics chip is not quite up to the task.

I've connected the laptop to a TV in the UK, VGA - VGA and not had a problem. Unfortunately, my TV here doesn't have a VGA connection.

No matter what resolution I try today I'm having the same issue with intermittent loss of connection. I'm guessing the issue is with either the HDMI cable or the converter, as the VGA cable has worked in the past.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Do you have more than one HDMI slot in the TV? Maybe try another.. If not, can you get back to where you bought the converter.. Maybe take your laptop there and see if it works in the shop..
It will be a lot easier to work out where the problem lies in the shop... i.e switch each of the components until it works...

Smeagull

Mar 20, 2012
Its probably the converter then. Was it a cheap one? I bought a cheap display port to VGA one off eBay and it was pants, everything was blue. Spent a few quid more and got an HP one which works fine.

When the screen goes black to you get any errors in event viewer in either windows system or applicaton logs? Or any errors like 'amd catalyst driver has stopped responding' popping up? If you do then it could be driver related.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Its probably the converter then. Was it a cheap one? I bought a cheap display port to VGA one off eBay and it was pants, everything was blue. Spent a few quid more and got an HP one which works fine.

When the screen goes black to you get any errors in event viewer in either windows system or applicaton logs? Or any errors like 'amd catalyst driver has stopped responding' popping up? If you do then it could be driver related.

It cost the equivalent of £30. I'm not getting any error messages; the screen goes black for about a second then works perfectly again...for about 20 seconds.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Do you have more than one HDMI slot in the TV? Maybe try another.. If not, can you get back to where you bought the converter.. Maybe take your laptop there and see if it works in the shop..
It will be a lot easier to work out where the problem lies in the shop... i.e switch each of the components until it works...

Yeah, 2 HDMI slots. Same problem with both. Can't be bothered to take it back this evening but will do tomorrow if it doesn't miraculously fix itself (fingers crossed).

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yeah, 2 HDMI slots. Same problem with both. Can't be bothered to take it back this evening but will do tomorrow if it doesn't miraculously fix itself (fingers crossed).

Have you tried switching it off and on again?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No need !
Yes , I read the thread - just wondering why the op was using VGA - hdmi instead of hdmi-hdmi .
The reply re : where to buy adaptors was to poster Cullip4.
Thanks for your concern though .

My laptop doesn't have HDMI, TV doesn't have VGA, so converter's the only option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here