Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good luck seagulls - from the black and amber tigernation

doncastertiger

Oct 17, 2011
to all Seagulls - you may remember me the Doncaster Tiger for the respectful match report I wrote after our nil nil some years ago. it got some great reviews and built some great rapport between what I consider to be the two most real sets of fans in the land.

We in the Tiger nation still have the utmost respect for you and always say that if there is one team out there who has had it worse than us, then it is the mighty Brighton, with whom we feel the utmost empathy. Most of the Tigernation has you as their second favourite team. Now we have finally staggered into the promised land, there will not be a tiger who is not watching tonite in your support, nothing would please us more (well all but 15 minutes with danni menogue - for the male ones anyway) to see you win through to eat with us at the top football table in the world and come down and have our normal south coast away day with football's supporting aristocracy.

your time has come - get the job done.

we also believe that Holloway has gone from being a football family favourite, to a total cock. So go out and shut him up

i reattach the letter for some memories:
A match against Brighton, to me is about the game of football itself and not a mere football game of 90 minutes and this one was no exception. Today’s match day report is dedicated to two entities; one is a person and the other is a club.
Firstly, to a larger than life character, known for about half a century to everybody in the Tiger nation and who now lives in Brighton. The ‘lad’ got married on Friday and a crew of extremely ‘likely lads’, many from Tiger nations of decades past made the trip south one day early to celebrate the event. Many were attending the match directly from the celebrations of the previous day/night. His name is not necessary; we wish him and his partner well for the future.
The second recipient of my dedication is to our opponents themselves, or more specifically their fans.
If there is one club in the land that has suffered more than we have in supporting a club struggling to establish a financial security and search for silverware, then it is Brighton. If there was a league of suffering supporters, who have received so many false dawns and have had so many futures wrestled out of their hands, then Hull City and Brighton would have been winners and runners up with every other being hopeless also-rans.
I am always proud to shake the hand of a Brighton fan, and that feeling, on so many occasions, has been mutual.
For those who remember, we played Brighton about ten years ago at the old scaffolding site known by some as the Withdean ‘stadium’. As a club they had no money, no indication of a new ground and a mediocre league position.
The tiger’s fans arrived on that famous day with the news that an unknown businessman had just handed in a cheque to save our club. We walked into THEIR supporters club with celebrations and euphoria everywhere. They were as happy to see a club saved from extinction as most of us would be celebrating a lottery win, our first shag, or opening your stocking as a kid at Christmas.
What happened next was equally memorable to me. It came up in conversation that the Hull city players had not been paid for several weeks. Their supporters went and got some buckets, passed them around the crowd and I think about £4k was raised and given to our players, unbelievable!

Whenever I go to Brighton I feel that I am mixing with the aristocracy and the fellow-deserving of the football-supporting world and yesterday was nothing different. Some very lively boys made the trip south and all decided this was a day for crack, respect and a pint with ‘them’ and any temptation for extra curricula activity was not to be the order of the day. More hands were shaken and more pints exchanged between different shirts than on most normal away days.

One thing that shocked us was that in a place where the north south divide does exist. Hammered home by the fact that when I asked the folk in Lewes if there was a KFC in town, they replied ‘oh no, we don’t do those down here’. These same people were open in their love of Sir John Prescott. Apparently it was him who allowed the ground to be built, over ruling Lewes county council, who did not want the stadium, thinking that such a place would encourage the act of eating specially battered chicken!

To the game, it was fantastic. Did any other member of the long-travelling tiger-nation keep trying to think if they had ever seen a better nil nil in their footballing lives?

The team was unchanged, with Mckenna replacing Sir Nick on the bench. It was a game which could have ended 5 – 4 either way, but as we know it didn’t. It is easy to be disappointed with the Koren miss, the Mclean and Koren woodwork and the fine save from the Brady curler, but Brighton missed a few chances which quite frankly our grandparents should have put away. So instead of walking away downhearted, most of the black and amber army walked away a proud as punch; glasses brimming over, never mind half full.

I will not do my normal player by player breakdown today as the game was a fantastic team performance, which like none other this season looked like it had all the four ‘units’ firing on all cylinders all on the same day. Basso was superb in the nets and he is building up an affinity with the fans unlike anything I have seen since Ian Mckecknie (many of you will need to ask your dads on this one)
The back four cannot be altered even when certain injuries are repaired.
The midfield, so long the thorn in our side was truly outstanding. Sacrifices had to be made to get Koren into his favoured role, but he is now performing like we all know that he can. Pusic, who has waited patiently has surprised many and performs the role asked of him very well indeed. As much as I like McKenna and I am aware of all the talent possessed by Cairney; what would it say to any member of this midfield if they were replaced after this performance?

Idolised as he is by his chant, I don’t believe Waggy can replace either of the Fryatt/Mclean strike force after this performance. I said that I would not single anybody out; o.k. then I lied. The guts and determination displayed by young Mclean was brilliant and takes my MOM award.

In summary, it was a fantastic day in which the real winner was the game of football itself. When the away crowd was announced the standing round of applause given to us by the Brighton massive, sent a shiver of pride down my spine. I departed thinking “miles - 570, goals - nil, performance - gold plated, pride in team – priceless. Dare to dream was the last war cry, let us now adopt “time to stop dreaming and time to start believing”

One last thing to fire the forum into action, we are not there yet but I believe this team has the POTENTIAL to grow into the greatest Hull City team of ALL TIME. Fire away........ !

Best Regards
John the Doncaster Tiger

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Thanks for the thoughts. We'll do our best ;)

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Thanks for the kind words, best of luck in the Prem, Bruce has worked wonders for you!

doncastertiger

Oct 17, 2011
pwa.. er... no, I used up the whole supply available in Yorkshire between 12.45 and 14.45 on Saturday.

doncastertiger

Oct 17, 2011
Your turn now. Get the job done and a pint will be waiting for you in the Walton Street club in Hull and somewhere in Lewes..... JTDT

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
As my former colleagues from East Riding used to say "It's rough in Brough, never dull in Hull". Great report and kind wishes. We'll do our best to roar the Albion on to a win tonight.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Superb write up that I missed first time round.

I love the support we are getting from around the country and hope upon hope that we don't let ourselves and our adopted supporters down tonight, Monday and (should it happen) in a couple of Weeks.

COME ON YOU SUPER SEAGULLS!!

doncastertiger

Oct 17, 2011
Both teams last night were an insult to drying paint. Get the palarse done and the wembley way as the route to the promised land belongs to BHAFC and its SEAGULLS

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What I love about this write up is that it captures the way football fans should feel about one another. There's a fraternity that pulls together when a club is in trouble. Deep down we know that. I feel like that about every set of fans. Deep down (really deep down) there is even a bit of me that cares about Millwall. Yes, Millwall not Palace. I always care about Palace! No Palace = no opportunity for ultimate bragging rights.

Billingshurst Eagle

Jan 21, 2004
West Sussex
to all Seagulls - you may remember me the Doncaster Tiger for the respectful match report I wrote after our nil nil some years ago. it got some great reviews and built some great rapport between what I consider to be the two most real sets of fans in the land.

We in the Tiger nation still have the utmost respect for you and always say that if there is one team out there who has had it worse than us, then it is the mighty Brighton, with whom we feel the utmost empathy. Most of the Tigernation has you as their second favourite team. Now we have finally staggered into the promised land, there will not be a tiger who is not watching tonite in your support, nothing would please us more (well all but 15 minutes with danni menogue - for the male ones anyway) to see you win through to eat with us at the top football table in the world and come down and have our normal south coast away day with football's supporting aristocracy.

your time has come - get the job done.

we also believe that Holloway has gone from being a football family favourite, to a total cock. So go out and shut him up

i reattach the letter for some memories:
A match against Brighton, to me is about the game of football itself and not a mere football game of 90 minutes and this one was no exception. Today’s match day report is dedicated to two entities; one is a person and the other is a club.
Firstly, to a larger than life character, known for about half a century to everybody in the Tiger nation and who now lives in Brighton. The ‘lad’ got married on Friday and a crew of extremely ‘likely lads’, many from Tiger nations of decades past made the trip south one day early to celebrate the event. Many were attending the match directly from the celebrations of the previous day/night. His name is not necessary; we wish him and his partner well for the future.
The second recipient of my dedication is to our opponents themselves, or more specifically their fans.
If there is one club in the land that has suffered more than we have in supporting a club struggling to establish a financial security and search for silverware, then it is Brighton. If there was a league of suffering supporters, who have received so many false dawns and have had so many futures wrestled out of their hands, then Hull City and Brighton would have been winners and runners up with every other being hopeless also-rans.
I am always proud to shake the hand of a Brighton fan, and that feeling, on so many occasions, has been mutual.
For those who remember, we played Brighton about ten years ago at the old scaffolding site known by some as the Withdean ‘stadium’. As a club they had no money, no indication of a new ground and a mediocre league position.
The tiger’s fans arrived on that famous day with the news that an unknown businessman had just handed in a cheque to save our club. We walked into THEIR supporters club with celebrations and euphoria everywhere. They were as happy to see a club saved from extinction as most of us would be celebrating a lottery win, our first shag, or opening your stocking as a kid at Christmas.
What happened next was equally memorable to me. It came up in conversation that the Hull city players had not been paid for several weeks. Their supporters went and got some buckets, passed them around the crowd and I think about £4k was raised and given to our players, unbelievable!

Whenever I go to Brighton I feel that I am mixing with the aristocracy and the fellow-deserving of the football-supporting world and yesterday was nothing different. Some very lively boys made the trip south and all decided this was a day for crack, respect and a pint with ‘them’ and any temptation for extra curricula activity was not to be the order of the day. More hands were shaken and more pints exchanged between different shirts than on most normal away days.

One thing that shocked us was that in a place where the north south divide does exist. Hammered home by the fact that when I asked the folk in Lewes if there was a KFC in town, they replied ‘oh no, we don’t do those down here’. These same people were open in their love of Sir John Prescott. Apparently it was him who allowed the ground to be built, over ruling Lewes county council, who did not want the stadium, thinking that such a place would encourage the act of eating specially battered chicken!

To the game, it was fantastic. Did any other member of the long-travelling tiger-nation keep trying to think if they had ever seen a better nil nil in their footballing lives?

The team was unchanged, with Mckenna replacing Sir Nick on the bench. It was a game which could have ended 5 – 4 either way, but as we know it didn’t. It is easy to be disappointed with the Koren miss, the Mclean and Koren woodwork and the fine save from the Brady curler, but Brighton missed a few chances which quite frankly our grandparents should have put away. So instead of walking away downhearted, most of the black and amber army walked away a proud as punch; glasses brimming over, never mind half full.

I will not do my normal player by player breakdown today as the game was a fantastic team performance, which like none other this season looked like it had all the four ‘units’ firing on all cylinders all on the same day. Basso was superb in the nets and he is building up an affinity with the fans unlike anything I have seen since Ian Mckecknie (many of you will need to ask your dads on this one)
The back four cannot be altered even when certain injuries are repaired.
The midfield, so long the thorn in our side was truly outstanding. Sacrifices had to be made to get Koren into his favoured role, but he is now performing like we all know that he can. Pusic, who has waited patiently has surprised many and performs the role asked of him very well indeed. As much as I like McKenna and I am aware of all the talent possessed by Cairney; what would it say to any member of this midfield if they were replaced after this performance?

Idolised as he is by his chant, I don’t believe Waggy can replace either of the Fryatt/Mclean strike force after this performance. I said that I would not single anybody out; o.k. then I lied. The guts and determination displayed by young Mclean was brilliant and takes my MOM award.

In summary, it was a fantastic day in which the real winner was the game of football itself. When the away crowd was announced the standing round of applause given to us by the Brighton massive, sent a shiver of pride down my spine. I departed thinking “miles - 570, goals - nil, performance - gold plated, pride in team – priceless. Dare to dream was the last war cry, let us now adopt “time to stop dreaming and time to start believing”

One last thing to fire the forum into action, we are not there yet but I believe this team has the POTENTIAL to grow into the greatest Hull City team of ALL TIME. Fire away........ !

Best Regards
John the Doncaster Tiger

Your gag reflex must be totally shot with that lot!
**** me, could you kiss the arse of the Weed any more - you make me sick.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I was reminiscing with a Cardiff fan about the 2000-01 season the other day, and how three out of the top seven in that year have since reached the Premiership (Cardiff, Hull, and Blackpool). I fully expect us to be the fourth! It'd be great to have games against Hull and Cardiff as Premiership fixtures next season.

Here's the table from that year if anyone fancies a misty-eyed trip down memory lane.

doncastertiger

Oct 17, 2011
Hamilton - can u educate the tigernation on the brighton/palace thing... we always wondered why Pompey not your 'derby' as nearer aint they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here