Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help Required - Book Repair (oil)

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
NSC,

A friend of mine at work has just presented me with a dilemma. She was leant a book by a colleague but has accidentally spilt car oil all over it after 'chucking the bottle into the back of the car'

She was going to come clean and buy him a new book until he said how much the book means to him and how she is the first person he has ever trusted with it. There are lots of notes in the book and we can only assume it is a dead relatives.

So, my question to you, the great and good of NSC - Can you get oil out of a book? And, if you can does anyone know any good book repairers?

The reason I am keen to help is that I feel bad after laughing at her when she told me.

Many thanks in advance for anything anyone can suggest.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I had a horrible feeling that it was probably ruined but didn't want to break the news to her!

She is on the phone to them now and they seem to be being really helpful so massive massive thanks for the recomendation. The other people we had tried to call just practically laughed down the phone and said to give up.

The advice gievn was blotting paper, lighter fluid and cotton wool. She is going to try it tonight so hopefully there will be good news

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The advice gievn was blotting paper, lighter fluid and cotton wool. She is going to try it tonight so hopefully there will be good news

I thought she was trying to save the book not set fire to it?

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I used to work in a garage years ago, and a woman came in and said she's put some oil in her car on the forecourt, and now it wouldn't start. I had a look, and asked her how much she had put in, to which she replied, 'To the top...' I asked if she meant the top mark on the dipstick, and she said, 'No, until it reached the top of the filler neck in the rocker cover...' Of course meaning that the entire engine was oil-bound and couldn't rotate :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here