Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Poyet: More of the Same

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Gus Poyet has encouraged his players to follow their regular routines away from the training ground as they prepare for their play-off semi-final first leg at Selhurst Park tomorrow night.
The Albion boss accepts that the stakes are higher than any regular Championship game but the approach will not change.
He told seagulls.co.uk, “We want to do the same as we do for every other game. We don’t want the players to change anything in their life and we don’t want them to do anything differently.
“I’ve said to a few players with little kids that if their child is normally awake at 2am in the morning and they normally get up, get up again at the same time. Nothing should change because of this game.
“We want the players to do what they have to do because it’s a football game and they don’t have to do anything different to any other football game. Of course, there are a few more consequences but we must try and do exactly the same. We will not change at all.
“So many people have talked about it being a different game; being 180 minutes and not 90 minutes but we always play the same way. Then with five or ten minutes to go we will see, because it’s not the final game.
“The idea is to go there and play our game because I don’t want to look ahead. We will approach it like we did at Leeds United two weeks ago and every other away game this season.”
Poyet felt that his players have put themselves into a privileged position for their performances so far this season and hopes they can bring further pride to the Albion faithful.
“I’m pleased that I’m not living in the Brighton & Hove city because it’s as if it’s the last game of our lives when you talk to fans. That’s credit to the position we have put ourselves in to, it shows what we are playing for and that’s why we have a beautiful job.
“This team can make so many people happy from a football game, which is great. It’s hard work as you have to run and suffer a bit but it’s a very nice kind of hard work, especially when you are making so many people happy.
“We need to do what we can to make a lot of people proud of the players we have at this club.”
Meanwhile, Poyet has urged supporters to focus on the football and the amazing spectacle of a play-off semi-final as Albion meet Crystal Palace in another derby fixture.
“We all need to make sure that the message is the same; it’s a football game. We don’t have to go over the top on anything else.
“A few people will be singing at each other with nice banter but that’s it. Nothing more because it’s a football game and there are not lives at stake. Families and health are more important than a football game.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here