Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worrying play-off statistic

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
I hate to put a damper on the weekend, but over the last 17 seasons only one team finishing 4th in The Championship has gained promotion !!!
That was Charlton in 1997.
Seven teams finishing 3rd, five teams finishing 5th and four teams finishing 6th have gone on to win at Wembley.

Lets hope we can break the trend !! UTA

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Brighton clearly have the best form of the four teams in this season's play-offs, having averaged 2.14 points per game from their last seven matches. History shows that teams with the best form have reached the final 50% of the time since 1992-93, and nine of those 10 teams have actually won the play-offs.
Surprisingly, it is the third-ranked team in terms of form who have reached the final most often - 14 times in the last 20 years.

No side with form as poor as Leicester's (1.29 points per game since 1 April) and Crystal Palace's (1.00 points per game) has been promoted in the last 20 years.
If you do want to make a prediction based on statistics and where a side finished in the table, Watford are the best bet.
If you want to look at form though, then Brighton are the best bet.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Brighton clearly have the best form of the four teams in this season's play-offs, having averaged 2.14 points per game from their last seven matches. History shows that teams with the best form have reached the final 50% of the time since 1992-93,

In other words, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference :lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That's why it will work,we are about to make history,it's all falling into place and the very darkest of horses Brighton have 4th position play off success of the past...

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Even more worryingly, over those same 17 seasons, not one team called Brighton has won the Championship playoffs!! :down:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Even more worryingly, over those same 17 seasons, not one team called Brighton has won the Championship playoffs!! :down:

Most worrying of all is what will the weather be like and will i need to take shorts or a coat to wembley? :lolol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I hate to put a damper on the weekend, but over the last 17 seasons only one team finishing 4th in The Championship has gained promotion !!!
That was Charlton in 1997.
Seven teams finishing 3rd, five teams finishing 5th and four teams finishing 6th have gone on to win at Wembley.

Lets hope we can break the trend !! UTA

We could worry over stats for a long, long time... just bring on Friday, let's get this innings underway!

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I guess at the end of the day Form, Being Favorites, last result, living in a much fresher place, knowing that NOT one person in Sussex would move to Croydon, but nearly all the People in Croydon would move to Sussex, means NOTHING when it comes to the Play Off's...

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here