Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New gutter won't squeeze into gutter jointing bracket

I have a new jointing bracket from Wickes who say it's compatible with my Marley PVCu gutter. It has 2 rubber strips, half the thickness is recessed into a groove but the top half stands proud of the gutter valley. If I remove the rubbers it's a perfect fit, but I simply cannot compress them enough to enable the clips to go over the edges. The clips are integral to the bracket and don't seem to be removable. Am I doing something wrong?
IMG_20130508_142108.jpg

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes,fitting guttering at this time of night!!!!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have a new jointing bracket from Wickes who say it's compatible with my Marley PVCu gutter. It has 2 rubber strips, half the thickness is recessed into a groove but the top half stands proud of the gutter valley. If I remove the rubbers it's a perfect fit, but I simply cannot compress them enough to enable the clips to go over the edges. The clips are integral to the bracket and don't seem to be removable. Am I doing something wrong?
View attachment 42532

These are always a bit of a pain to fit but with some force it will clip in, you might catch ya finger though!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Wickes plastics have always been not been compatible with other manufacturers Be it guttering or waste or drainage.

In my experience you need to use all wickes parts or none because as you have found regardless of what they claim they are not compatible.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
But I'm not sliding the gutter through horizontally, I'm trying to force it downwards from above. The horizontal route just encounters a semi-circular ridge of rubber which won't compress enough.
Use washing up liquid on the rubbers, align the back and the front will clip in easier. The bit of lubrication will stop the rubber from 'grabbing'

May 17, 2011
1066 country
Where the clips clip on to the gutter,try wittling a little bit away either side with a stanley knife, (trying not to cut yourself), Not to much as the gutter will leak but just a small amount so you can force the clips over. It's worked for me.gutter fixtures & fittings new & old rarely fit easy & old fittings usually break as they go brittle with age.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Never buy anything from Wicks it is the Law

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This is much more like it, a thread about guttering! Thank you for momentarily diverting my attention from "other matters"!

Use washing up liquid on the rubbers, align the back and the front will clip in easier. The bit of lubrication will stop the rubber from 'grabbing'
The problem is not one of friction, it's simply that the rubbers are too thick. Adding washing up liquid can only make this worse.

Where the clips clip on to the gutter,try wittling a little bit away either side with a stanley knife, (trying not to cut yourself)
Why on Earth are you recommending a Stanley knife for a task eminently suited to a flat file?

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
The problem is not one of friction, it's simply that the rubbers are too thick. Adding washing up liquid can only make this worse.

Why on Earth are you recommending a Stanley knife for a task eminently suited to a flat file?

We are still talking about guttering? All this talk of rubbers and friction...

OK thanks all, but Programme_Seller had the best info. I got another from one of our 3 B&Qs; crucially, they have a single removable clip, which solves the problem of the clip lip blocking the top of the gutter length as per my pic. It's a tight fit, but you don't feel as though you're about to break the thing!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If you don't replace like for like and sometimes even the same make, they are always difficult. Best change it all,or use Mole Grips instead of fingers to lever the last bit into position.
I'm doing my own facia boards at the moment, as the PVC gets older it gets tougher, the Mole Grips solve it for me.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Where the clips clip on to the gutter,try wittling a little bit away either side with a stanley knife, (trying not to cut yourself), Not to much as the gutter will leak but just a small amount so you can force the clips over. It's worked for me.gutter fixtures & fittings new & old rarely fit easy & old fittings usually break as they go brittle with age.

That's what I did with my wickes guttering 6 months ago - cut my hands to shit!

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
The clips are not integral and you should remove them before trying to fit the gutter. then push the clips one at time down and into the bracket.
Try to practice before you slip the gutter in and you see how easy it is. Do this before you mount the ladder, pull off and push on.
Hopefully thats clear enough.
Best of luck.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here