Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Road Bus Lanes not legally enforceable until 2014

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Argus:

Car drivers can use new bus lanes without fear of punishment this year because the restrictions are not legally enforceable.

But Brighton and Hove City Council is calling on motorists to observe the new markings in Lewes Road so they are used to them when fines can be issued.

The controversial bus lanes are one of the key aspects of the £4 million improvements to the road.

They are set to run along both sides of the route and will be monitored by cameras so that car drivers caught using them will be fined.

However, despite a stretch of the lanes already being marked out, the council cannot legally enforce the scheme until its completion – which is not expected until the beginning of 2014.

A council spokeswoman said: “The bus lanes being marked out as part of the improvements will not be in force until the entire scheme is completed.

“Notices will then be put up and cameras will be used to ensure correct lane use.

“We are not currently able to install signage warning of the bus lanes because they are not legally enforceable.

“While the work is completed, we advise people to observe the lane markings as this helps the future use of the road to be established.”

Motoring campaigners have called the decision to withhold the information as “misleading” and “plain wrong”.

Motoring lobbyist Steve Percy added: “It’s similar to what they did with the 20mph zones, it’s just plain wrong.

“It is unfair for them to suppress this information and unhelpful for drivers.

“I think the bus lanes are unnecessary anyway, but that aside, if people want to get their last few months of use out of the lanes then why shouldn’t they?”

The Lewes Road improvements, which are being funded by government money, are being completed in stages.

The route is one of the city’s busiest and is among the worst areas for air quality.

Among the changes will include new cycle and bus lanes and 30mph speed limit zones.

It is expected to be finished early next year.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Motorists should actively use the bus lanes as a protest until enforcement is legal.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I didn't know this, but it seemed pretty obvious anyway. Enforcing it in blocks would be confusing and unfair.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I'll be using them even when they come into force.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Beware that they have bus stops inset between the lane and the road, so people will be walking across them, due to this I could see them remaining coned off for pedestrian safety

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
These sort of threads just prove that there are hardly any motorists any more, just 'people with driving licences' whose attitude is 'fu*k everyone else' with regard to driving. I blame Thatcher...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
TBH there seems to be little enforcement anywhere on Brighton's roads. Fail to pay at a meter and you have much less chance of getting away with it. Up and down the Lewes Road there are usually cars parked illegally straddling the cycle lane near the Coombe Road traffic lights, also along the stretch between Elm Grove and The Gyratory. It seems to me just as long as you have your hazard lights on you can park with impunity. As for enforcing the 20mph limit.... well that's not going to happen, plus, the only time a cyclist sees red is when you hit them......don't get me started.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
nuffink

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I was down there a few weeks ago and those 20mph limts are not properly sign posted as you enter from side streets into Lewes road so are not enforceable.

The design of the bus stops is such that any car driver would be crazy to use the bus lanes. You'll be held up by stationary buses every hundred yards or so. Use the general traffic lane and you won't.

Traffic volumes on Lewes Road are much lower now than they were before the bypass was opened, so there shouldn't be a problem - especially once they've completed the work to improve traffic flows through the troublesome junctions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here