Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New car

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We are considering changing our car in the not too distant future at present we have a Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI but want something smaller so are considering the Fabia 1.6 TDI.

Reading the reports it does an estimated 67 MPG and the annual Tax is £20 can this be right? Has anybody got one and have any views on the car good or bad.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
DONT buy anything from Croydon as they have been used for towing.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
If you want to go really small then I'd recommend a Citroen C1. I recently bought the wife one and it's ridiculously cheap to run and very cheap on tax and insurance.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
This one's huge but economical.........

little-car_1379570i.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's basically an Audi A3 in a low rent dress. Low emissions hence the low tax. Can't really go wrong apart from the fact that modern diesels are a risk as low mileage or town cars unless you also do a fair bit of regular motorway driving. DPF strangulation otherwise.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I bloody love my mini cooper, so much fun to drive.
Bit of a girls car people say but i love it :)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I bloody love my mini cooper, so much fun to drive.
Bit of a girls car people say but i love it :)

Considerably more expensive than a Skoda Fabia probably too

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's basically an Audi A3 in a low rent dress. Low emissions hence the low tax. Can't really go wrong apart from the fact that modern diesels are a risk as low mileage or town cars unless you also do a fair bit of regular motorway driving. DPF strangulation otherwise.

What are your thoughts here? I have a petrol that is a bit thirsty, so looking to change and wonder if a Diesel might be better, keeping in mind I put premium unleaded in my current car there is no difference on cost. I do a good crosscountry (A27/A22) run every week, and the odd 150 mile round trip once or twice a month, with some smaller trips during the week.

Its a brand new car, so good warranty etc anyway, but how likely am I to struggle with DPF problems?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What are your thoughts here? I have a petrol that is a bit thirsty, so looking to change and wonder if a Diesel might be better, keeping in mind I put premium unleaded in my current car there is no difference on cost. I do a good crosscountry (A27/A22) run every week, and the odd 150 mile round trip once or twice a month, with some smaller trips during the week.

Its a brand new car, so good warranty etc anyway, but how likely am I to struggle with DPF problems?

I'm not a mechanic I just have an interest in cars but as long as you don't spend every day in slow moving city traffic or the engine doesn't get time to warm up properly I imagine you'd be fine. Modern diesels seem to need a good long run every month or so to enable them to regen and burn the crap out of the dpf. Short town drives are the killer as far as I am aware.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
*cough* i'm selling my '08 ford focus *cough*

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
DPF strangulation otherwise.

This .

We recently bought a petrol golf because of this , when we discussed with the dealer our driving habits having asked for a diesel one we were advised that we would wreck the DPF and they are not cheap to replace,£1000+.

We do approx 6 k miles per year in this car mostly short journeys and also doing the maths re fuel consumption and cost of diesel/petrol we end up saving a couple of £100 per year on fuel and the petrol is 230BHP against only 167BHP for the diesel. So more lively on the throttle.

You do need to consider how your going to use it when choosing either petrol or diesel.

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
Just bought a VW Up! - it's like the tardis. Good value & dare I say better made than the Citroen C1 or Peugeot 107..

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
We are considering changing our car in the not too distant future at present we have a Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI but want something smaller so are considering the Fabia 1.6 TDI.

Reading the reports it does an estimated 67 MPG and the annual Tax is £20 can this be right? Has anybody got one and have any views on the car good or bad.

I have the Fabia but not diesel. I do about 10k miles a year and average around town ( Eastbourne ) about 50mpg, on longer journeys the highest I have got to is 58mpg but that is rare. Great little car for myself, wife, daughter and dog and confortable to ride. I downgraded from a Mondeo Estate 2.0 because of the mpg.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

The newest models automatically clean the DPF when required, no need to do the 70mph for 20 constant minutes any more and if the cycle doesn't complete it will just be shorter until the next clean.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

DPF issues should not affect you with your driving habits. I am in the trade supplying products to overcome DPF and Turbo problems/issues amongst other things and have never been asked to solve a problem with your type of mileage. It's the SAS vehicles (school and shopping) where there are many DPF issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here