Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Statement from Lochlinn Parker, Solicitor at Deighton Pierce Glynn:
“We have been asked to look at the restrictions placed on the upcoming Brighton and Hove Albion-Crystal Palace play-off games.
“Firstly, the club can, within reason, set almost any restriction on a fan entering the ground. It is therefore up to the club whether they refuse entry to a person without a ticket and corresponding identification.
“However, outside of the ground and the private land around it, neither the club nor the police have the power to search a person if the only aim of the search is to find out whether the person has a ticket.
“The police can conduct searches of a person if they reasonably suspect them of being in possession of stolen items, offensive weapons or an item that could assist that person in committing an offence (Section 1 Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984).
“The police can also search people without reasonable suspicion if there is a particular concern about serious violence or the carrying of weapons as long as a senior officer has authorised such searches (section 60 Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994).
“Neither of these powers allows the police to search a person solely for a ticket or identification, and neither power requires a person to answer questions put to them by the police.
“The police can also remove a person from the area if there is a concern that the individual is causing or contributing to alcohol related violence or disorder. Not having a ticket or identification cannot be the only reason for removing a person.
“The police would be acting unlawfully if they searched fans or removed them from the area on the basis that the individual did not have a ticket or identification. If the police did act in this way then they may open themselves up to legal challenge.
“We hope that the police will clarify that they will not be seeking to search or question people outside the ground, unless there are other factors involved.”
Wednesday 8th May 2013
Contact for fans – email amanda.jacks@fsf.org.uk

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Interesting statistic, that:

The latest Home Office figures show that football arrests are down by a quarter and there’s only one arrest for every 15,782 spectators. Compare that to the Notting Hill Carnival which had 299 arrests last year, or one in every 8,361

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Interesting particularly the statement from the solicitor. Anyone travelling should tell the police to get knotted if they are asked to hand over ID but clearly you sill might need it for entry to the ground.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
well not a copper, but the last point is the killer.....as in " I thinkin my judgement there may be a chance that there may be pobbily trouble involving said individual, (he doesnt need evidence) and in that case, please show me your ticket and id."

simples

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
They shouldn't be enforceable outside of the grounds.

Yes, article points to the key element of this

Given the reports that the Metropolitan Police wanted to ban away fans completely from this vital fixture, is it reasonable to assume that the clubs had no real choice other than to impose these conditions of sale?

Anyone know the policing costs for these games

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
well not a copper, but the last point is the killer.....as in " I thinkin my judgement there may be a chance that there may be pobbily trouble involving said individual, (he doesnt need evidence) and in that case, please show me your ticket and id."

simples

No chance, the police can't go around searching anyone they fancy without a good reason, don't give them one and there's nothing they can do.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

simples

Police are covered by Section 60 ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting particularly the statement from the solicitor. Anyone travelling should tell the police to get knotted if they are asked to hand over ID but clearly you sill might need it for entry to the ground.
It was pretty obvious anyway, but nice to have some confirmation:

http://fsf.org.uk/assets/Downloads/News/Statement-from-Lochlinn-Parker.pdf

I wouldn't tell them to get knotted though, I'd just be polite and ask what the problem is etc. Given that I want to get to the game and don't have my own ticket, I'm not looking to cause a problem.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No chance, the police can't go around searching anyone they fancy without a good reason, don't give them one and there's nothing they can do.

The police can also search people without reasonable suspicion if there is a particular concern about serious violence or the carrying of weapons as long as a senior officer has authorised such searches (section 60 Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994).

That covers it. remember even in the eyes of our board football fans are not to be trusted hense the draconian measures that have put lots of people off..me and five other regular away fans to name but a few ( albeit that the experience last time was absolutely horrible)

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

Except they can hold you on suspicion of being drunk/inciting violence/anything else they can think up and have you taken away for questioning - only for you to be released at about 9.45 without charge. And you don't even need to be black.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here