Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Renting a flat, do I or don't I?

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
Currently renting a flat with my mrs, who is due to have our baby in August. We didn't know that she was pregnant when we started the tenancy and we haven't really thought about telling the letting agency. Got a letter this morning saying they are doing a routine check up on the flat on the 28th May. There are other kids around the block of 6 flats so I don't see why it would be a problem but I'm just a bit worried that they might tell us we've gotta move out? Do I let them find out by seeing all the baby stuff, tell them before the check up, or hide all the baby stuff? Help!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Currently renting a flat with my mrs, who is due to have our baby in August. We didn't know that she was pregnant when we started the tenancy and we haven't really thought about telling the letting agency. Got a letter this morning saying they are doing a routine check up on the flat on the 28th May. There are other kids around the block of 6 flats so I don't see why it would be a problem but I'm just a bit worried that they might tell us we've gotta move out? Do I let them find out by seeing all the baby stuff, tell them before the check up, or hide all the baby stuff? Help!

I think uve answered your own question..there are other kids about...i thought there would be more of a problem with pets or having to pay rent with housing benefit...have u looked at your lease?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It would be extremely unusual for a lease to stipulate that you can't have a baby while living there! I guess it's possible it says "no children", but I've never seen that. Best thing to do is check your lease. If it doesn't explicitly say "no kids", you're in the clear...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think you are confused with pets.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think in law the landlord has the right to seize the children and have them sold for vivisection.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Have the baby and don't hide anything-even if for some strange obscure reason it stipulates no kids? (check your tenancy agreement) a newborn baby is very much not a problem............god why have i just waste 5 minutes of my life repling.

don't worry about it

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It'll work in your favour if anything. They have to have reasonable grounds to evict you, and, even if they did, evicting a family with a minor is really hard.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
For what it's worth: any lease that stipulated that you couldn't get pregnant would be about as legal as one that denied access to property to anyone based on race, gender, religion etc.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I do hope the baby is born with a few more brain cells than its old man.

Nothing to worry about, you will be fine. Good luck! I hope its early August, wouldnt want to miss our first game in the Prem.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There is absolutely no problem with you having a baby in the property. No need for you to worry.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
There is absolutely no problem with you having a baby in the property. No need for you to worry.

I would see it as a problem,i'd want world wide exclusive media rights on this one,his girlfriend you mean :lol:

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
Thanks for the replies, most of which made me chuckle. For the record, my old man who is a bit of a pessimist, was saying that I could be in my landlord's bad-books but NSC has left me feeling worry free. Cheers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here