Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lauryn Hill jailed for tax evasion and tries to pull the race card

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Not seen this anywhere yet, so thought I'd open it up to the wider NSC community for discussion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22429181

The part of interest is
"I am a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them," Hill said in court. "I had an economic system imposed on me."
Is it me or is she comparing oppression and slavery to the legal requirement to pay taxes?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Her debut album title is accurate.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Have all of us not had the same economic system imposed on us.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The part of interest is Is it me or is she comparing oppression and slavery to the legal requirement to pay taxes?

No, she's not comparing slavery to paying taxes. She's saying that her ancestors were taken from their homeland and transported to America and compelled to live within a capitalist system.

Lauryn Hill's got a history of talking bollocks though. It's not as if she didn't exploit the system for her own financial gain.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
My ancestors suffered oppression by the English in the highland clearances...can I opt out of tax too?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Is it fair to say that playing the race card is racism if you get what I mean?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
No lyric/song title gags yet? Don't know enough of their back catalogue ('The Fugees, whose hit includes') to do a gag myself.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Listening to her excuses is like a slow painful death, or being killed softly. Which ever.......

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Was it not her who stated that if she gave birth to a white child she would have it 'put down'

Not a pleasant woman

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"I am a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them," Hill said in court. "I had an economic system imposed on me."
:eek:

We've all had this economic system imposed on us. I'd have extended her sentence.

My ancestors suffered oppression by the English in the highland clearances...can I opt out of tax too?
My ancestors were slaves to Roman invaders - can I get an upgrade?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Was it not her who stated that if she gave birth to a white child she would have it 'put down'

Not a pleasant woman

She reputedly once said that she'd rather her children died than a white person bought her album. She strongly denied this.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
She reputedly once said that she'd rather her children died than a white person bought her album. She strongly denied this.

Well, MTV denied it. She didn't as far as I recall. The alleged quote was something about she'd rather her family starved than white people buying her album. Seems quite an inflammatory thing to say.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here