Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool and ground re-development.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It was obvious that's what they were doing when we went up there. Can't see the issue though, it's a googling dump anyway.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasnt that suggested at The Goldstone so that the East Terrace could be extended but the residents of Newtown(?) Rd refused to sell and co-operate with the plan..

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If you agreed a price then tough titties. If you still own one of them ask for triple the value+

Can't see a massive issue, no-one has said you MUST leave. OK so area on decline but if don't like it and can sell your house for more than market value, who cares! Move 2 streets away and pocket the money. Not like anything has to happen right now, take a couple of years if need be.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you agreed a price then tough titties. If you still own one of them ask for triple the value+

Can't see a massive issue, no-one has said you MUST leave. OK so area on decline but if don't like it and can sell your house for more than market value, who cares! Move 2 streets away and pocket the money. Not like anything has to happen right now, take a couple of years if need be.

But my understanding is the problem is that you cannot sell for more than market value due to the compulsory purchase orders? Or am I missing something? And the current market value is very low due to LFC's manoeuvres.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So far over fifty houses bought.........

at a cost of £2-50.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't see the problem. Surely the remaining residents can negotiate a good price for their homes so they'll be able to move a couple of roads and be quids in.

Wasnt that suggested at The Goldstone so that the East Terrace could be extended but the residents of Newtown(?) Rd
Goldstone Lane?

But my understanding is the problem is that you cannot sell for more than market value due to the compulsory purchase orders? Or am I missing something?
That would be shit, but where does it say anything about a compulsory purchase order? Anyone who chose to sell their house, and was happy with the price, has nothing to moan about. Anyone left should be able to sell for more than the market value would have been, because LFC aren't going to want to buy a half the houses and then stop, they'll have to accept paying a bit more for the rest.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
absolutly no idea what is objectionable about this. methinks the area was run down well before the club started buy up the terraces.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This is actually the second time Liverpool have done it, so I don't know why anyone's surprised.

The Kemlyn Road stand, opposite the main stand, was extended after LFC bought up every house in Kemlyn Road and demolished them - except one, which was jointly owned by two elderly sisters, who refused to sell even after they were offered well above the market rate and a bungalow in Southport. It became a big subject of debate on Merseyside, with some people accusing the ladies of standing in the way of progress and others defending their right to stay put if they chose. Eventually one of them died and the other decided to sell up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That would be shit, but where does it say anything about a compulsory purchase order? Anyone who chose to sell their house, and was happy with the price, has nothing to moan about. Anyone left should be able to sell for more than the market value would have been, because LFC aren't going to want to buy a half the houses and then stop, they'll have to accept paying a bit more for the rest.

Anfield: the victims, the anger and Liverpools shameful truth | David Conn

This article makes references to derisory figures being offered by the council via an agent to buy up houses. It's a bit confusing though as it also says the council did not back compulsory purchasing. So they are seemingly buying up property for a scheme but not with CPOs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

This article makes references to derisory figures being offered by the council via an agent to buy up houses.
What a load of nonsense. If they make a low offer, people can reject it. They've not made the offers openly, as LFC, because they don't want people to suddenly ask for more than they'd be willing to sell to others for, and you can't blame them.

If they started buying and boarding up houses in the 90s then I empathise with the local residents for the affect that would have on the area, but suggestions of it causing murders seems far fetched. The article seems poor quality to me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a load of nonsense. If they make a low offer, people can reject it. They've not made the offers openly, as LFC, because they don't want people to suddenly ask for more than they'd be willing to sell to others for, and you can't blame them.

If they started buying and boarding up houses in the 90s then I empathise with the local residents for the affect that would have on the area, but suggestions of it causing murders seems far fetched. The article seems poor quality to me.

Personally, I feel sorry for the residents. It's debatable whether the result of LFC's actions were planned or intentional but they seem guilty of helping turn Anfield into a depressing, horrible, desolate neighbourhood. I was shocked when I went there last season; there was a thread about it and many shared this feeling. It's all very well us sitting in our cosy southern addresses saying "don't accept a low offer" but if your quality of life is suffering and you're desperate you might be tempted against your better financial judgement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Fair point and you can understand why LFC will use 'agents' to buy property. However what right do LFC have to allow those still leaving in the area to live in a rundown locality ? Lets face it try that south of Watford Gap and you will be toast.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However what right do LFC have to allow those still leaving in the area to live in a rundown locality ?
Agreed, the locals need to get support to make LFC either get tenants or offer a fair price for the other houses.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

This article makes references to derisory figures being offered by the council via an agent to buy up houses. It's a bit confusing though as it also says the council did not back compulsory purchasing. So they are seemingly buying up property for a scheme but not with CPOs.

derisory? have a look, one on Alroy Road is offered over 50% more than a couple of streets away (i picked Bagnall st and Saker st to compare)

Personally, I feel sorry for the residents. It's debatable whether the result of LFC's actions were planned or intentional but they seem guilty of helping turn Anfield into a depressing, horrible, desolate neighbourhood.

??? whats debatable? its not in a affluent area, football grounds usually aren't. this is nothing to do with LFC, they are cheapo terraces crammed together, like so many northern towns. Liverpool council (and others) are do the same all over their patch, to knock down and build something more presentable or just a park or something. no one wants to live there. except of course there's always a few who stick it out, then complain the areas run down since everyone left.

Last edited:

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
I pretty sure this was common in the 90's with several clubs who were rebuilding their grounds to fit in with the taylor report and bring them upto PL standard. Blackburn definately did it as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here