Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The last team to win the 1st Division/Premier League in a 2 color shirt was....

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Just something I thought about - most successful team has one dominant home color - Man Poo, Liverpool, Arsenal - Red. Chelsea, Man City - Blue.

Who was the last English team to win the league in a striped/multi colored home shirt?

(I don't have the answer...)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Arsenal - red and white.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Just something I thought about - most successful team has one dominant home color - Man Poo, Liverpool, Arsenal - Red. Chelsea, Man City - Blue.

True in England but not in many other countries: Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter, Juventus, Dortmund, Galatasaray, Fenerbahce, Porto, Ajax, Celtic ...

Equally it's often said that red is a "successful" colour but that's because Arsenal, Liverpool and the Red Filth wear it. Bayern Munich are the only consistently successful team in the Champions League who wear a plain red shirt, and in the past they have worn red and white stripes and even red and blue stripes (which will obviously never catch on). Only one team has ever won a World Cup final wearing red.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Arsenal is red and white? Failing that Blackburn I think

Exactly that, Arsenal, red and white shirts, and prior to them, Blackburn, blue and white. Prior to that it would be Villa in 80/81, claret and sky blue.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
True in England but not in many other countries: Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter, Juventus, Dortmund, Galatasaray, Fenerbahce, Porto, Ajax, Celtic ...

Equally it's often said that red is a "successful" colour but that's because Arsenal, Liverpool and the Red Filth wear it. Bayern Munich are the only consistently successful team in the Champions League who wear a plain red shirt, and in the past they have worn red and white stripes and even red and blue stripes (which will obviously never catch on). Only one team has ever won a World Cup final wearing red.

Spain wore a different colour then?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
When is the last time a team in stripes has won the league in the top flight?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Spain wore a different colour then?

I guess the suggestion is that when England won they were wearing their away kit, hence Spain are the only side with red as their main colour to have won the WC

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I guess the suggestion is that when England won they were wearing their away kit, hence Spain are the only side with red as their main colour to have won the WC

I think my point was that certain designs and colours are associated with success but that's because of the teams that wear them, not the colours or designs, and even that association doesn't stand up if you look beyond English club football. For example, Argentina won two World Cup finals wearing stripes. And three of the last four Champions League finals have been won by teams wearing stripes.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I hope we never go back to pin stripes. Although a yellow with blue pin stripe AWAY kit would be fab!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here