Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this semi final the biggest game of your Albion-supporting life?

Biggest game of your BHA-supporting lifetime?

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pedant alert - I am aware it is two legs, but it is effectively one match.

At 27 years of age it is unquestionably the biggest game yet in my Albion-life.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hereford.

Fair point, and I think quite a few will go with that. I wasn't old enough to really understand what that game meant, so couldn't choose it.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Fair point, and I think quite a few will go with that. I wasn't old enough to really understand what that game meant, so couldn't choose it.

For me I would put this sf behind (1) Hereford and (2) Doncaster, last game at Goldstone in terms of importance.

In terms of status, its easily bigger than anything I've seen us compete in. (been following Albion since 94)

Nope, for me the FA Cup Final in 83 is, it meant something back then.
Hereford next.
Then this, unless of course we win then I may change my mind.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
FA Cup Final, FA Cup Final Replay, Hereford, Doncaster at Amex opening Day, and Play off final against Notts County, all of these were as Big as if NOT bigger in my opinion

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To paraphrase a statement in 'Build A Bonfire', even if we win the Champions League, nothing will ever be as big as the Hereford game.

What if we win a CL Final, where losing would mean we went out of business?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
FA Cup Final, FA Cup Final Replay, Hereford, Doncaster at Amex opening Day, and Play off final against Notts County, all of these were as Big as if NOT bigger in my opinion

yep

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
83 Final(s) > Hereford > 91 Play off final > THIS > 2004 Play off final

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Hereford easily and I go back as far as '77 so can include promotion to the Old Div 1, Cup Final etc. This game(s) is huge because of the money involved in the Premier League and because it's against Palace. It doesn't compare to the thought of not being one of the 92 clubs though.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
For pure attention, just nothing could beat '83 and all that. I was doing a paper round at the time, reading every paper I delivered, and the whole issue about Steve Foster being banned absolutely dominated the sports pages for weeks and weeks beforehand. Even, say, Man U or Chelsea having a similar issue before a Champs League final wouldn't get as much fuss made about it now.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
It's up there, but the last game at Hereford in 1997 was the biggest in my own opinion, followed by the FA Cup Final and replay in 1983.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I think it will be the biggest game(s) that I've actually been too. I'm too young for the '83 final (I was 1, at home with my mother...) and although Hereford was bigger (the biggest game in Albion history IMHO, and bigger than anything that is yet to come - no other game will be responsible for our very existence) I didn't go.

I think this is bigger than any of the 2004 play-off games, including the final - promotion to the Premier League is so much bigger than to the Championship, so the only other games that have been bigger are probably the 1991 final and the Newcastle game... and I didn't go to those either.

In summary:
1 - Hereford
2 - 83 Cup Final + Replay (if these two legs count as one game so do they)
3 - Newcastle '79
4 - 91 Play-off Final
5 - 13 Play-off semi-finals.

Christ, it makes me even more nervous grouping it with those, even if it is only number 5...

I agree and would add the promotion games vs Darlington ('65), Rochdale ('72) and Newcastle ('79) to your list; if I was going to pick one it has to be Hereford. As for Palace, I just can't get excited about a game (or games) vs The Irrelevance any more. Actually paying them £30ish of my money to watch a game in that excuse for a sports venue that was a ruin 30 years ago and be treated like it still is 30 years ago? No thank you very much ............ ever.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Unfortunately, old enough to have been at the FA Cup Final :ffsparr:

Still going to be HUGE this next week or so though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here