Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus soon to be 6th (was 7th) (was 8th) (was 9th) (was: 10th!!)

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
With the resignation of Kenny Jackett today, Gus is now the 10th longest current serving manager.

Alex Ferguson 26 years, 182 days
Arsène Wenger 16 years, 218 days
David Moyes 11 years, 54 days
Tony Pulis 6 years, 327 days
Paul Tisdale Exeter City 6 years, 315 days
Greg Abbott Carlisle United 4 years, 185 days
Chris Wilder Oxford United 4 years, 137 days
Nigel Clough Derby County 4 years, 119 days
Roberto Martínez Wigan Athletic 3 years, 326 days
Gus Poyet 3 years, 178 days
Rberto Mancini 3 years, 139 days
Mark Yates Cheltenham Town 3 years, 136 days

It's been a while since we've had someone in the hot seat for so long! I think Barry Lloyd was the last??

Who would want to be a manager nowadays!?!? No job security!

Just saying!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
South American temperament, be gone by tomorrow/next week/month/in a few hours.

Lots of people made to look very stupid on here yet again. Gus ALWAYS talks long term with us, and the things he tries and puts in place always suggest long term.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
With the resignation of Kenny Jackett today, Gus is now the 10th longest current serving manager.

Alex Ferguson 26 years, 182 days
Arsène Wenger 16 years, 218 days
David Moyes 11 years, 54 days
Tony Pulis 6 years, 327 days
Paul Tisdale Exeter City 6 years, 315 days
Greg Abbott Carlisle United 4 years, 185 days
Chris Wilder Oxford United 4 years, 137 days
Nigel Clough Derby County 4 years, 119 days
Roberto Martínez Wigan Athletic 3 years, 326 days
Gus Poyet 3 years, 178 days
Rberto Mancini 3 years, 139 days
Mark Yates Cheltenham Town 3 years, 136 days

It's been a while since we've had someone in the hot seat for so long! I think Barry Lloyd was the last??

Who would want to be a manager nowadays!?!? No job security!

Just saying!

I suspect having one's contract paid up when fired softens the blow a little...

I feel sorry for Stoke fans - putting up with the tripe served up by Poolips for nearly 7 years now!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gus ALWAYS talks long term with us, and the things he tries and puts in place always suggest long term.

Yeah but, he said he likes Chelsea, and that he'd like to manage his country one day, the disloyal untrustworthy greasy foreigner , that he is.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
The thing that gets me is that he is the 10th longest, but only been here for 3 and a half years. I just hope we get promoted so we can keep him.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Feels like Martinez has been at Wigan a lot longer than that. Hes saved them from relegation at least 5 years in a row surely

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I feel sorry for Stoke fans - putting up with the tripe served up by Poolips for nearly 7 years now!

He took over when they were an average Championship side. He's taken them up, and kept them up for 5 seasons, taken them to Wembley, and into Europe.

Poor them.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I suspect having one's contract paid up when fired softens the blow a little...

Yeah? And prey tell where Stoke City FC would be without Tony Pulis?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Surprised about Greg Abbott. He has done nothing at Carlisle There fans don't even like him..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Yeah, he took them up from the Championship and kept them in the Prem League for five seasons, having taken them to the FA Cup final for the first time. Yeah, bet they're really gutted: they've got to play against Man U and Chelsea next season when they could be looking forward to games against Doncaster and, possibly, Yeovil

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
He took over when they were an average Championship side. He's taken them up, and kept them up for 5 seasons, taken them to Wembley, and into Europe.

Poor them.

Yeah? And prey tell where Stoke City FC would be without Tony Pulis?

I'd personally rather watch good, entertaining football in the Championship than a Prem team who play the Pulis way

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
This with bells on!

Have several mates who are Stokies and they wouldn't have swapped the last 5 years for anything (including epic away trips to Split and Valencia) and an FA Cup Final!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yeah, he took them up from the Championship and kept them in the Prem League for five seasons, having taken them to the FA Cup final for the first time. Yeah, bet they're really gutted: they've got to play against Man U and Chelsea next season when they could be looking forward to games against Doncaster and, possibly, Yeovil

Stoke have scored 14 league goals from open play ALL SEASON. That is scandalous.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gus could be closing in on top 5 by the start of next season.

Pulis, and Moyes, likely to go, while Clough staying always surprises me.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Stoke have scored 14 league goals from open play ALL SEASON. That is scandalous.

They've struggled this season I'll give you that.. But they actually played some really good passing football, with good wing play, last season. When they struggle a bit they have their old, solid way to fall back on.

Stoke reminds me of Charlton when they were doing well in the Premiership and all their fans said, 'Curbishley has taken us as far as he can, we need someone else to take us further.' They got rid of him and look what happened. The same will happen to Stoke IMO if they get rid of Pulis.

Even Gus has praised Pulis for setting up an identity and playing one way consistently

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
They've struggled this season I'll give you that.. But they actually played some really good passing football, with good wing play, last season. When they struggle a bit they have their old, solid way to fall back on.

Stoke reminds me of Charlton when they were doing well in the Premiership and all their fans said, 'Curbishley has taken us as far as he can, we need someone else to take us further.' They got rid of him and look what happened. The same will happen to Stoke IMO if they get rid of Pulis.

Even Gus has praised Pulis for setting up an identity and playing one way consistently

Sacking Curbs looked a poor decision at the time but in retrospect do you really consider Dowie & Les Reed decent appointments? Perhaps a better manager might have got soemthing else out of them, we'll never know. Granted, it sure does look pretty stupid now though.

Jimmy Grimble

Surprised Tisdale, Abbot and Wilder have lasted as long as they have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here