Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Upson Effect

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
It has been talked about quite a bit but here are the solid facts...

18 games before we signed him:

Won: 6
Drawn: 9
Lost: 3
Conceded: 25

18 games since we signed him:

Won: 9
Drawn: 6
Lost: 3
Conceded: 13

Ulloa undoubtedly has had a massive impact and we wouldn't be where we are without him but lets not forget that without Upson, we probably would have only just made the play-offs or even missed out. Gus should definitely consider him for a permanent signing, no matter what division we are in.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Great thread. We were all talking about this on Saturday, he has been immense. I love AEA's commitment etc, but for me the best pairing is Greer and Upson.

Hope we sign him regardless of which division we are in.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
If he's not good enough to get in Stoke's squad would he be good enough for the Premiership? Very hard to tell, huge gap between the divisions.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Great thread. We were all talking about this on Saturday, he has been immense. I love AEA's commitment etc, but for me the best pairing is Greer and Upson.

Hope we sign him regardless of which division we are in.

100% agree. His positioning, aerial dominance and general air of calm authority have made a massive difference to our defensive record. Just a couple of bookings too. Classy, classy player.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
If he's not good enough to get in Stoke's squad would he be good enough for the Premiership? Very hard to tell, huge gap between the divisions.

If Gus can improve his distribution and decisions as much as he has for Greer, he will be a different player. Pulis was never going to add much to his game.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Would be interested to see stats for Greer and Upson as a pair, it feels like we've only conceded about two goals since playing those two together.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The idiot interviewer after the Yeovil game twice called ED Upson 'Matt'. After the second time the guy said 'My name is Ed'.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Would be interested to see stats for Greer and Upson as a pair, it feels like we've only conceded about two goals since playing those two together.

For the first 9 games he was partnered with El-Abd as Greer was injured in the previous game versus Arsenal. Over that time we conceded 8 goals. Since then he has been partnered with Greer and in the 9 games since Greer's return they have conceded 5 goals. I like Adam very much but these stats do suggest our strongest pairing is Upson and Greer.

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
Agreed he has been brilliant and can be a premiership renaissance man.

I wouldn't put to much stock in Pullis not picking him, sometimes your face doesn't fit & you drift out of a manager's plans. He has been a regular in the prem for years and played for England, exactly the type of player we need if we go up (much like Bridge).

We'll need a new partner for him though, someone young like this Virgil van Dijk fella would be ideal as he can learn from Upson.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The whole defence has been immense of late with
Kuschack
Calderon
Greer
Upson
Bridge
All outstanding over the last 2 months
But like thread states Upson has been pure Class

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

He's still good enough for premiership in my view, as is Bridge. He will be an important player if we can keep him and do go up.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Easily our best Center half as you would expect from an ex England international. Admittedly he is getting on, sign him on a years contract regardless of the division. he has been pure class.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
would love to see him signed, whatever happens in the next few weeks...has been a rock for us at the back, and popped in a goal too!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Agreed he has been brilliant and can be a premiership renaissance man.

I wouldn't put to much stock in Pullis not picking him, sometimes your face doesn't fit & you drift out of a manager's plans. He has been a regular in the prem for years and played for England, exactly the type of player we need if we go up (much like Bridge).

We'll need a new partner for him though, someone young like this Virgil van Dijk fella would be ideal as he can learn from Upson.

I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't come to us this summer, he could learn so much from Greer, Upson etc Plus if Dunk comes good and is still with us in a few years, those two could be our future pairing.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
His contribution has been underestimated by many Albion fans. I think he is the reason why we will go up. Superb defence with all of them improved by Upson's presence. I just hope Wayne Bridge is fully fit. If so ..... It will be a hell of an end to the season.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
If Gus can improve his distribution and decisions as much as he has for Greer, he will be a different player. Pulis was never going to add much to his game.

Fair point, Gus does seem to bring the best out of certain players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here