Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 Gay Footballers in Premiership

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I have no interest in any footballers sexuality whatsoever. Regardless of club, division or status. I'm only interested in how good they are at football, how they conduct themselves. Whether they like girls or boys is no concern of mine, nor should it be. So my question is, would anyone care if a footballer came out? The best thing to do would be to not even raise an eyebrow, wouldn't it? Sexuality just isn't important.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The way forward is simple; ban all the small minded idiots who think it's okay to abuse someone because of their sexuality. Footballers shouldn't have to fear coming out.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Why is it so preposterous that someone might not want to share his private life with the general public?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I presume that part of the fear of coming out for footballers is the reaction of their team mates. Players still use communal showers and change together, and I suppose the fear is that your team mates will think you have been looking at them in a sexual way back in the showers and "getting off" from it. Imagine if you were put in to a shower room full of naked ladies lathering themselves up with soap, boobies jiggling about, and bums bouncing. :drool: You'd surely have plenty of lustful glances! At least, if you were disguised as a woman, and then you were found out, you would definitely be accused of getting off from it!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Does their sexual preference really effect how they play footy....no.
Who cares?

I can imagine a club such as Leeds or Millwall who have, lets say, less than classy support would end up winding players up about it to the extent where it might affect the way they play.

Only way to stop that is to treat homophobic abuse in the same way as racist abuse.

Do we care about what colour skin a player has? No. But there are still morons out there who will abuse anything and everything that is different.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There was talk of a 'out' day, in the US.

x amount of stars coming out together, to take the edge off.

Is the NFL ready for an openly gay star?

As it is the basketball player who has come out, is very much the 12th man in the squad, coming to the end of his career, and out of contract.
Making it possible to suggest the timing of his announcement is a move to get one more contract.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5683703 said:
I presume that part of the fear of coming out for footballers is the reaction of their team mates. Players still use communal showers and change together, and I suppose the fear is that your team mates will think you have been looking at them in a sexual way back in the showers and "getting off" from it. Imagine if you were put in to a shower room full of naked ladies lathering themselves up with soap, boobies jiggling about, and bums bouncing. :drool: You'd surely have plenty of lustful glances! At least, if you were disguised as a woman, and then you were found out, you would definitely be accused of getting off from it!

The people mentioned in that article have actually come out to the players at their club, but it is the fans they have yet to come out to.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
It makes absolutely no difference to me at all, but if people think they should come out, why not send an email or a message to every footballer in the country offering all of those who are homosexual an opportunity to get together and all come out at once?
If dozens of footballers came out at the same time then I think fans would be much less likely to single one out for abuse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5683703 said:
I presume that part of the fear of coming out for footballers is the reaction of their team mates.

An article I read this past weekend suggested it was more to do with supporter attitude and abuse than their clubs/dressing rooms. I agree with an earlier post which suggested that once the first few footballers have come out then it will be less of an issue. Just a shame it is taking so long. Mind you, it will take a certain type of character to be the first; a rhino like thick skin will be paramount.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
It's not so much what people think - it's the unwanted attention they will get. Their lives could be made a misery if they are known as the "only gay in football" - I think what they really need to do, is come out together and show that being gay is OK in football.

This whole anti-homophobia sentiment is good-natured, but there's a really patronising undercurrent to the debate which goes along the lines of "they need our help to come out so that the game of football can improve". Why on earth should someone be compelled to reveal parts of their personal life in a vain attempt to educate a bunch of idiots in society? Why would anyone waste their time on that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When someone finally decides they want to come out, I wonder if The Albion will play a part.

If it's not one of our chaps, I don't imagine anyone would make the announcement a couple of days before Millwall away.
We'd certainly be seen as an easier crowd to play too.
Assuming we didn't make an arse out of ourselves, it would be great for us to lead the way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This whole anti-homophobia sentiment is good-natured, but there's a really patronising undercurrent to the debate which goes along the lines of "they need our help to come out so that the game of football can improve". Why on earth should someone be compelled to reveal parts of their personal life in a vain attempt to educate a bunch of idiots in society? Why would anyone waste their time on that?

It's not about people being 'compelled.' Some want to come out, some do not. It's those who choose they want to come out and who also want some assistance that this debate is about. I personally do not think this is patronising. It's merely doing the right thing.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Quite frankly, the footballers that are gay are wimps. Pretty much all of them lack the balls to say openly that they happen to be gay and then they wonder why they operate in a sport where no other professionals are publicly known to be gay. The very few that come out are such pussies that think that they have to quit the sport if they decide to come out. All of them think we genuinely care as much as they do about who they want to shag.

Worst of all, they are telling a big fat lie by adding to the growing impression that the majority of football supporters are highly homophobic, which simply isn't true. All I can say is, don't lay the blame at us. If gay footballers want to come out, the action lies with them, not us. They need to take action as a step to creating widespread understanding and acceptance that footballers can be gay, bi or straight. No one achieves anything by waiting for the stars to align before they take action.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here