Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A trip to Germany

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Me and several friends (exact number not confirmed, 5 or under) plan to take a trip to see the German club 1.FC Koln (the reasons for choosing Koln are too complicated to be explained here). They play in the city of Cologne and I was wondering has anyone ever been there and if so, how much would accommodation and travel be?

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Me and several friends (exact number not confirmed, 5 or under) plan to take a trip to see the German club 1.FC Koln (the reasons for choosing Koln are too complicated to be explained here). They play in the city of Cologne and I was wondering has anyone ever been there and if so, how much would accommodation and travel be?

A group of us did exactly this last October for a stag do. It's possible to get a single train ticket from London to Cologne for £50 through Deutsche Bahn, but you have to book early and I think there's only one specific train on a Saturday morning which you are limited to. We did this, stayed in a 3* hotel in Cologne for two nights and went to the game against Hamburg on the Sunday afternoon before flying home on the Monday. From memory it worked out no more than £200 each, excluding food and drink. The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide... is a brilliant site if you are considering the train option - Cologne station is right in the city centre as well.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Went to cologne game in February.

Stayed about two minutes walk from the cathedral.

Accommodation was 60 euro for two nights in decent hotel.

Flew to Luxembourg though and got train from there as mates live there (I used to work there)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm going to Koln again next weekend. Lovely city. Accom prices can vary but there's plenty of reasonable priced B&B type places available. Booking.com or Expedia are your friends. No need be too concerned about being too central; it's a small city and the u-Bahn is great for getting about. I think it's 24/7 at the weekend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And be sure to check out the cathedral/Dom and especially Gehard Richter's stained glass window.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Go to the Walfisch pub for lunch. Order Jaegerschnitzel. Wash it down with gallons of Koelsch beer. Then come back on here and THANK me.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
A group of us did exactly this last October for a stag do. It's possible to get a single train ticket from London to Cologne for £50 through Deutsche Bahn, but you have to book early and I think there's only one specific train on a Saturday morning which you are limited to. We did this, stayed in a 3* hotel in Cologne for two nights and went to the game against Hamburg on the Sunday afternoon before flying home on the Monday. From memory it worked out no more than £200 each, excluding food and drink. The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide... is a brilliant site if you are considering the train option - Cologne station is right in the city centre as well.

The train sounds good, would save on Ryanair's horrendous hidden costs! What site would I have to book the tickets on?

Apr 17, 2011
Shoreham
Went to cologne game in February.

Stayed about two minutes walk from the cathedral.

Accommodation was 60 euro for two nights in decent hotel.

Flew to Luxembourg though and got train from there as mates live there (I used to work there)

I am off to Luxembourg on a motorcycle trip in July, any suggestions for things to do and see? Many thanks

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I am off to Luxembourg on a motorcycle trip in July, any suggestions for things to do and see? Many thanks

I've never been but our very own Trufflehound has written the definitive guidebook to Luxembourg, no less.

Oh and here's the website for the Walfisch in Cologne, it's in one of the few old buildings left: Walfisch .

Definitely walk up the cathedral tower afterwards: the rickety iron staircase towards the top sorts out the men from the boys.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
As stated Koln has superb rail connections to most of Central Europe so easy to catch a cheap flight somewhere else and get the train to Koln, plenty of B&B or pensions as the Germans call them in central Koln, so you are spoilt for choice. The rail journey along the Rhine south of Koln is fantastic all along the banks of the river through wonderful villages and wine vineyards. As stated Leverkusen is across the river form Koln, don't bother going to Bonn.

Not been to the new stadium but went to the Mungerdorf (think that what it was called) for football and a concert, Koln is great for beer but that's not really surprising in Germany.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
As stated Koln has superb rail connections to most of Central Europe so easy to catch a cheap flight somewhere else and get the train to Koln, plenty of B&B or pensions as the Germans call them in central Koln, so you are spoilt for choice. The rail journey along the Rhine south of Koln is fantastic all along the banks of the river through wonderful villages and wine vineyards. As stated Leverkusen is across the river form Koln, don't bother going to Bonn.

Not been to the new stadium but went to the Mungerdorf (think that what it was called) for football and a concert, Koln is great for beer but that's not really surprising in Germany.

Rheinenergiestadion_ger.jpg

This is what awaits us when we get there, can't wait! Can you recommend any good Koln pubs?

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Not a lot, just a business city. What kind of things are you into?

Trier is 20 mins away on motorcylcle which is awesome. An old Roman town where Karl Marx house is. Also Nancy is within an hour which is very nice too.

Apr 17, 2011
Shoreham
Not a lot, just a business city. What kind of things are you into?

Trier is 20 mins away on motorcylcle which is awesome. An old Roman town where Karl Marx house is. Also Nancy is within an hour which is very nice too.

Basically using as a stopover on the way to Innsbruck, and also to cross it off our list of places been to. Trier sounds as if it may be worth a visit, many thanks for the heads up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here