Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread for Norman Baker

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Drinking in Lewes after the game - every pub I went in (John Harvey, Snowdrop, Gardeners, Lansdown) was full of (well behaved, friendly) Wolves fans - seemed to be there for the day or maybe even the weekend, staying in hotels, eating locally, obviously boosting the town's economy.

Has that prat Baker ever said anything about the benefit the Amex has brought to his constituency, given how vehemently he opposed the whole scheme? He should be bloody thanking us.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
In fairness, Kevo, people are entitled to their opinions. At the time there was almost a fascist style whip going around that suggested people had no right to be opposed.

I opposed the building of the ground at Falmer and felt that it should be elsewhere (Waterhall was my preference although it was a no-goer). I still don't think it was the right place, although I support the club nonetheless.

My point is that it is a democracy, and he is entitled to reflect the views of his constituents, however wrong others regarded them.

In fairness, Kevo, people are entitled to their opinions. At the time there was almost a fascist style whip going around that suggested people had no right to be opposed.

I opposed the building of the ground at Falmer and felt that it should be elsewhere (Waterhall was my preference although it was a no-goer). I still don't think it was the right place, although I support the club nonetheless.

My point is that it is a democracy, and he is entitled to reflect the views of his constituents, however wrong others regarded them.
And the point that the pro-stadium campaigners made at the time (and, even more so, now) was that MOST of his constituents supported the stadium being built at Falmer.

If you want to defend Norman Baker's stance, the best anyone can come up with is that he mis-read local opinion and nailed his colours to the wrong mast. Having done so, he didn't have the bottle to admit he was wrong.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Norman Baker: "Falmer Stadium will be built over my dead body"

Another broken promise by the liberal democrats!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

You're not the husband of the Forfars owner, by any chance?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lets not forget the projected £60 million boost to the economy (not the club) that promotion would bring.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
And the point that the pro-stadium campaigners made at the time (and, even more so, now) was that MOST of his constituents supported the stadium being built at Falmer.

If you want to defend Norman Baker's stance, the best anyone can come up with is that he mis-read local opinion and nailed his colours to the wrong mast. Having done so, he didn't have the bottle to admit he was wrong.

It's very difficult to defend the stance of a man who, by suggesting that there was something illicit in a visit John Prescott made to a city building company, left an impression that a director of the Albion could have been involved in a corrupt act. Baker denied it of course but he knew what he was doing and what he was doing was punching so far below the belt that he nearly took his victim's kneecaps off.

He might be kind to animals and have loved his old mum but he fought a rodent-like campaign and I for one hope never to see him staining the Amex.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The only thing I can think of that earns him some credit is that when Lewes council were considering yet another appeal after the plan had been finally approved, he apparently told them "Enough's enough". About time though.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Yes, I didn't support the location of the stadium. Just because I support the Albion I didn't feel led to a default position. I think it's a great stadium now it's here, but if asked as to whether I think Falmer was the right location, my answer remains the same.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, I didn't support the location of the stadium. Just because I support the Albion I didn't feel led to a default position. I think it's a great stadium now it's here, but if asked as to whether I think Falmer was the right location, my answer remains the same.

Jeez. Well I'll keep this polite so I'll simply say that I have a lower opinion of you than I do of Norman Baker and LDC. Just my view obviously and I'll admit to being a bit disappointed as I liked your posts. Sorry.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Jeez. Well I'll keep this polite so I'll simply say that I have a lower opinion of you than I do of Norman Baker and LDC. Just my view obviously and I'll admit to being a bit disappointed as I liked your posts. Sorry.

If it's any help my opposition merely extended to giving my opinion when asked, I wasn't a member of the pitchfork brigade or signing any petitions. I'm sad that you would express such a low view of someone merely for thinking at the time that a new stadium for his favourite football team was an urgent necessity but would be better located elsewhere.

Thank you for your compliment regarding my posts though.

Last edited:

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton

Then I'll correct my view, I didn't know there was a majority in support. On a planning application an elected representative should really respect the wishes of the majority even if they as individuals oppose it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Then I'll correct my view, I didn't know there was a majority in support. On a planning application an elected representative should really respect the wishes of the majority even if they as individuals oppose it.

He knew very well what his constituents wanted as they made it very clear to him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I see you're getting a little stick over this, so please excuse me, I'm not wanting to add to it - you thought there were better locations for the new ground, and you are not alone in that. Can I just check though (and I appreciate it's not my business if you'd rather not say), when we had the chance to vote Yes or No for the ground at Falmer, what did you vote?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Can't say I mind if people thought at the time that Falmer was the wrong location (I always favoured Brighton station) - it doesn't make them less of an Albion fan - but there is surely no doubt now that the decision to move there was correct.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here