Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odd feeling innit

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
End of a successful season, finished 4th, unbeaten in 10, play off position secured after another fine win against wolves. Yet the celebrations are pretty muted, low key, waiting with anticipation and a little trepidation for our greatest rivals in the play offs. Not even many palace on here apart from the regular friendly types.
How are you fellas and what's your take on things?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The two league games were fun.....the next two games are business. Its irrelevant that we are playing Crystal Palace, we just need to find a way to win. Am I nervous? No, not really. If we're good enough and have an average amount of good luck along the way, then we'll do it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Calm before the storm.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The weather put a bit of dampener on today's proceedings I thought, bloody freezing for a 4th may end of season game
Was looking forward to people turning up in a party atmosphere having a few beers in shorts & Tshirts
Also nothing for us to play for today so it was just a relaxed atmos like others have said calm before the storm

End of a successful season, finished 4th, unbeaten in 10, play off position secured after another fine win against wolves. Yet the celebrations are pretty muted, low key, waiting with anticipation and a little trepidation for our greatest rivals in the play offs. Not even many palace on here apart from the regular friendly types.
How are you fellas and what's your take on things?

Great that we are playing Brighton makes for a more nerve racking play off if they are not nerve racking enough but most honest Palace fans we tell you we are crap,nothing like the side that beat you at Selhurst the side you saw down at your place is how we have been the last part of the season.my prediction is a boring 0-0 draw at Selhurst(both sides will be a little scared to do anything to rash)second leg I think you will beat us quite easy.Anyway the extra money will help maybe Hollaway will be able to spend it if he is still in charge after the summer.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Just make sure you stay on official matchday thread duty Rowley.

Oh I'm bang up for it fella.
The understated feeling has even continued in the media. We've even been under the radar on all the sports news bulletins. I've seen I.T.V and B.B.C main news reports about the final championship games and pretty much nothing about us, not even a mention of our club in reports that Wolves have been relegated. Normally I'd be royally pissed off, but going into the play offs, I kind of like it.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I'm terrified, personally. Not because they're better than us and I think they will win, but because its football. It could be the best two games EVER or the worst two.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
These next two matches really don't get any bigger do they?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Just had a fantastic night at the green door store [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION]... but it's all still to play for!

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
It's weird how my excitement hasn't really kicked in yet as much as I thought it would.
Maybe because we kinda knew that we would get Palace in the semi's. As friday gets nearer though me nerves might not hold out.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
In a one off game I would be more nervous but across two you would hope the better team shines through.

Just hope the team play the game and not the occasion so we are not discussing red cards or dubious penalties.

If we do our season and current form justice we should have enough to see ourselves through to wembley but hey this is the championship where nothing goes to plan!!!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Huge
Gus needs to be bold
Up there we started with one winger Buckley, down here we started with Buckers AND Lua Lua & tore em to shreds
If we play both, other teams are on the back foot, if we play one they can cover it far more easily and we're on the back foot (with no right back
Attack is the....
No Guts No Glory

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
At the start of the season and right up to a few weeks ago I wanted us to be in the playoffs just to extend the season. I was not bothered about going up as I thought we were not ready.
Due to our form, the others faultering, playing Palace and the small matter of 100 million quid, I have totally changed my mind.
You have to take your chance, we may not get another. Very nervous about it though, but I think we will make it to the final, but the play offs can be a lottery, essential to have a decent ref.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I'm terrified, personally. Not because they're better than us and I think they will win, but because its football. It could be the best two games EVER or the worst two.

Very much this. We're the form team, no doubt. But play offs are a whole different kettle of fish.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
At the start of the season and right up to a few weeks ago I wanted us to be in the playoffs just to extend the season. I was not bothered about going up as I thought we were not ready.
Due to our form, the others faultering, playing Palace and the small matter of 100 million quid, I have totally changed my mind.
You have to take your chance, we may not get another. Very nervous about it though, but I think we will make it to the final, but the play offs can be a lottery, essential to have a decent ref.

This sums it up for me perfectly, we're in form, we've got this opportunity, we should take it!

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Great that we finished the season in 4th place - an improvement on last season - best defensive record in the division - and joint fewest losses.
I'm hoping our injuries are not going to hamper us - wouldn't have had Painter anywhere near the team this season under normal circumstances - we are a bit thin if we pick up any more red cards, or injuries. But we have the quality without doubt and the momentum, which can be key.

Watford - disappointed they missed out on automatic - and a bit erratic with results
Palace - will not be confident facing us, and know they only scraped home in the end
Leicester - might just be happy to have made the play-offs at all

My nightmare fear is that given our record taking penalties over the last 2-3 seasons, we might be the architects of our own downfall if it comes to the dreaded shoot-out. Two of the next three (possible) games could go this way. Don't let Barnes near a penalty please.

I think on balance we'll be playing Premier League football next season - worrying about how our squad will cope - finding the right new players - preparing for some big defeats - and some famous victories - and dipping our snouts into the Premier League money sack at just the right time. Our stadium deserves Premier League football - and so do our fans after 30 years of downs, downs, and now some spectacular ups.

Last point, Vicente isn't anywhere near fit enough to start matches - he could easily coast through against a feeble Wolves - but in the hurly-burly of pressure matches we need more than his cameo if we are to succeed.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Summed up for me. Extra spice being added as I have a brother-in-law, nephew and niece who are all Palace.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here