Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Poyet: Stay Calm

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Gus Poyet was pleased with a professional display as his side beat Wolves 2-0 at the Amex, but has called for calm ahead of the upcoming play-off games against rivals Crystal Palace.
The Albion boss told seagulls.co.uk, “It’s a great end to the regular season and a very good way to go into the play-offs. It was a good game for us.
“It’s a very difficult game to play because you don’t want to get injured, you don’t want to get a red card and you can’t risk making a bad tackle. At the same time, someone needs to stand up and Kazenga did that today.
“We will continue in the same way and try to keep everyone as calm and relaxed as possible going into the play-offs.
“The only thing I don’t like about playing Palace is that it’s not a normal game – but I want it to be as normal as possible. We need to make it about being a football game, only thinking about football and nothing silly. Over the two matches it could be two magnificent games of football.
“Let’s not do anything silly because it’s not worth it. Let’s remember it’s about who plays better on the day and nothing else – and accept that.”
Following the final round of fixtures Albion finished the regular Championship campaign with the meanest defensive record in the division and Poyet is proud of that feat by his players.
“I’m very pleased that people are talking about our defensive record because people are always talking about stats. Today it has been confirmed that we have had the best defence in the Championship this season.
“People watch us and praise this football club for the way that we play but they probably didn’t know that about our defence. Today is the day to shout about that stat because it’s an unbelievable achievement.
“We are open, we take risks but we always need to do the basics. Today was the best for that. Without having a great game we made it very difficult for them. They had the ball at times but we didn’t give them the chance to create anything.
“Football is not just about what you do with the ball, it’s both ways. That’s why we are a difficult team to beat. Now that we are in the play-offs, let’s hope that we don’t change anything.”
Meanwhile, Poyet said that he is impressed by the synergy between the players and the club’s fans as Albion recorded a 30,000-plus crowd for the first time since 1979.
“The situation that we are in at this football club is incredible and the connection between the fans and the players is amazing. I don’t know if that can get better but let’s keep calm and keep realistic.
“We couldn’t be in a better situation right now so we will have a good go at the play-offs. It’s a great time to be a Brighton fan and I’m not sure that there has been a time quite like this to support the club within the last twenty years.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here