Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - House boundaries

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Looking for a bit of skilled knowledge here.

I have a set of plans for the perimeter boundaries of my house when it was built in 1972 and used in the deeds when I bought it. Equally I have an official copy of the title plan (ordinance survey) issued by the Land Registry in 2007. BUT, there are significant differences, so which is the true legal document?

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
The legal document is the original however which of the two documents is the most advantageous to you as you have not said if it is in fact the land registry then over time if not challenged you might assume rightsand then you might be well advised to speak to a solicitor

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The original document gives me a bit more land. My neighbours garden sits about 3ft above mine, and many years ago a retaining wall was built to make a flower border about 2ft into my land. It's this wall that is identified as the boundary in the land registry so that has me relinquishing a 2ft strip of land.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd forget all about it. It's not worth the agro.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
for two foot of land it could cost you a lot of hassle and more money than it's worth if you have to get fencing erected or solicitors would love a case like this to eat up money.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not an expert but with all the properties I've brought the solicitors have taken the Land Registry document as gospel.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Can you get a copy of the Land Registry details of your neighbour's property to see what that shows? Normally if any changes to the original Deeds were made, to show boundary changes etc, they should all be noted on the Land Registry.

I have a set of plans for the perimeter boundaries of my house when it was built in 1972 and used in the deeds when I bought it. Equally I have an official copy of the title plan (ordinance survey) issued by the Land Registry in 2007. BUT, there are significant differences, so which is the true legal document?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
gerroff my land!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It could be, if the wall has been up for more than 20 years that the neighbour or his predecessor had the land registry round and has claimed your land. I had a similar case where I was able to claim the land, in this case part of a large field backing onto my property, because I had tended it without access to the field for over 12 years dating back to 1988. The laws have changed since about 2005 on adverse possession, making it more difficult to claim land.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

These documents are only diagrammatic indicators of the physical elements on a site that make up boundaries. They are normally 1:500 or larger in scale and often the lines themselves to scale are a foot wide.

They're not there to be scaled from and so the discrepancy maybe on the drawings and not on the site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here