Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Photographers - copyright law changes

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Hi to all the NSC photographers out there.

There are changes planned regarding the copyright of our images, and there is an online petition organised to try and stop it. Please sign it if you can, cheers chaps.

Stop Legalised Theft of Copyrighted Works - e-petitions

This is it in a nutshell

Stop Legalised Theft of Copyrighted Works

Responsible department: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills

A new legislation that has been rushed through parliament with no thought has now reached royal assent. This legislation means that photographers and illustrators alike will see their artworks legally taken and used for another's own gain.

Unless your works are registered or plastered with a watermark, anyone can use your copyrighted work for their own commercial and personal gains provided they have made a small effort to search for the original owner. If no owner can be found, they are free to do with it whatever they want.

There is nothing to stop people simply removing data embedded in digital files and pleading ignorance to the original author of the work.

Sign this petition now and share it with all you know to demand the UK Government make a U-turn and abort this legalised theft of digital artwork.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
If it has reached Royal Assent then there is no going back...not unless they repeal the law. If people were that concerned, they should have 'fought' against it whilst being discussed in parliament. Also, what is the name of the legislation? I would be interested to read it. None of the protests I have seen online actually mention it.

If this legislation is true, then I am all for it. I am currently spending £2,000 a month minimum on stock photography, so if I can save money....yay!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Good legislation if it means hobbyists are free to do music remixes and art mash-ups, message board users can post doctored images on NSC and other forums, and nursery and school children can make collages using magazine pics in art and have them displayed publicly without fear of prosecution.

(disclaimer: haven't read the details of the legislation from an unbiased source, but copyright law is in need of reform)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good legislation if it means hobbyists are free to do music remixes and art mash-ups
It doesn't. It would be difficult to prove you've done all you can to find out who the (famous) artist was, and contact them for permission to use their music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here