Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we allowed to rest large portions of the squad

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Against Wolves? Being as though they are locked in a relegation battle. Based on what Gus has to say, I think this is the case:

“We need to play our game with the best team available because we cannot do any favours when there is a relegation battle.”

Surely this is a little unfair as it is risking injury to our players? I am guessing Palace would need to do the same too, but still! I suppose, the players that he doesn't want to play could withdraw with 'minor' injuries i.e. Ulloa, Barnes etc.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Football league rule 24.1

24 Requirement to Play Full Strength Sides in League Matches

24.1 Each Club shall play its full strength in all Matches played under the auspices of The League unless some satisfactory reason is given. In the event of the explanation not being deemed satisfactory the Board shall refer the matter to the Football Disciplinary Commission which has the power to impose such penalties as it shall think fit.

I don't think "we had already qualified so didn't want any of our players to get injured" will cut it as an explanation!

Wolves got a £25000 suspended fine when they did it (so no punishment at all), in the Premier League.

Would think we would be watched like hawks to ensure we don't give Wolves any possible advantage.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
The key is the word "available". Sadly, many of our better players, like Ulloa, Bridge, Kushiak etc. aren't available due to slight injurys.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Surely this is a little unfair as it is risking injury to our players?

I'd say that, if play our reserves instead of going out to win the game, it's more unfair on the fans who have paid to see their team and Wolves' relegation rivals who could go down because Wolves had an easy ride on the final day

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Wolves got a £25000 suspended fine when they did it (so no punishment at all), in the Premier League.

Didn't Wolves rest their players for a fixture at Old Trafford, basically writing it off, to keep them for a bigger game? I think if we rested players in a game which could directly affect another club's chance of survival (whether Wolves or elsewhere) on the final day of the campaign, we could probably expect any fine to be heavy and not suspended.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If A Town Called Malice FC were in the Peterborough position in the current table, how tempting would it be to put out a very weakened team and let Wolves post a cricket score against us.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
If A Town Called Malice FC were in the Peterborough position in the current table, how tempting would it be to put out a very weakened team and let Wolves post a cricket score against us.

Not very tempting, as rivalries don't really mean a thing for the players and manager in that regard.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There is resting a few players with mystery twinges and then there is playing a complete reserve team. I suspect we may well see the former. The later is what you get fined for.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There is resting a few players with mystery twinges and then there is playing a complete reserve team. I suspect we may well see the former. The later is what you get fined for.
Agreed. But so what if we do get fined, that's a lot better than having injured players and losing the semis.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the rule should be more about being "competitive". When Mick McCarthy threw the game, he wasn't being competitive. Ferguson can rest 7-8 players against smaller sides and still win, so obviously he is still being competitive.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the rule should be more about being "competitive". When Mick McCarthy threw the game, he wasn't being competitive. Ferguson can rest 7-8 players against smaller sides and still win, so obviously he is still being competitive.
Understood, but Wolves wouldn't have been competitive with their first team.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I would think he could put some of them on the subs bench. It will only be a problem if wolves beat the drop. Bring them on if needed

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
How are the bookings? Anyone close to suspension? I presume a booking or red card would carry over to the play-off's.

Bookings are not now an issue. At this stage of the season, a player would have to accumulate 15 bookings to trigger a suspension; Bridcutt has the most at 11, but even if he played (and was booked) against Wolves and both legs of the semi-final, he still couldn't "earn" enough yellows to miss the final (assuming Albion were to progress that far).

Sendings-off are, of course, a different story, as suspensions triggered by these would commence immediately.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We can easily rest Bridge and Bridcutt as they missed the Leeds game so won't have recovered from whatever kept them out.Pig has missed some recently so its easy to justify him being out. Greer or Upson can easily be replaced by El Abd and no one can say anything as hes been first choice for at least half the season. Crofts, Dicker, Lua Lua and Vicente can easily be brought in to give the other midfielders rest. Barnes upfront in place of Ulloa is easy to justify too.

A squad of the following really isnt that weak.

Ankergren
Lopez
El Abd
Upson
Painter
Crofts
Dicker
Orlandi
Lua Lua
Barnes
Vicente

Subs
Brezovan
Greer
Buckley
Hammond
Dunk
Ulloa
JFC

some key players get reseted and no ine can claim its a significantly weakend side. The starting 11 are all regularly in the match day squads when fit.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We can easily rest Bridge and Bridcutt as they missed the Leeds game so won't have recovered from whatever kept them out.Pig has missed some recently so its easy to justify him being out. Greer or Upson can easily be replaced by El Abd and no one can say anything as hes been first choice for at least half the season. Crofts, Dicker, Lua Lua and Vicente can easily be brought in to give the other midfielders rest. Barnes upfront in place of Ulloa is easy to justify too.

A squad of the following really isnt that weak.

Ankergren
Lopez
El Abd
Upson
Painter
Crofts
Dicker
Orlandi
Lua Lua
Barnes
Vicente

Subs
Brezovan
Greer
Buckley
Hammond
Dunk
Ulloa
JFC

some key players get reseted and no ine can claim its a significantly weakend side. The starting 11 are all regularly in the match day squads when fit.

Why Dicker ahead of JFC?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here