Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rhinos in Mozambique now extinct

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Went to kenya earlier this year and the poaching appears to be for mainly the chinese magic potion market which I might add is a load of baloney

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It's a real shame. Sharks and whale numbers have seriously been hit also .

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
planet would be so much better off without humans on it :nono:

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Species have been heading that way annually, the rhino being a dinosaur among us.

Perhaps other African nations will take note? Perhaps conservation groups will raise some serious effort to counter poaching. The pathetic Japanese are a blight on the planet, promoting stupid ideas about shark fins, powdered rhino horn and such bullshits. They should go extinct before whales and rhino and elephant.
Do you know their government funded whaling while they begged for post tsunami charity from the World?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Species have been heading that way annually, the rhino being a dinosaur among us.

Perhaps other African nations will take note? Perhaps conservation groups will raise some serious effort to counter poaching. The pathetic Japanese are a blight on the planet, promoting stupid ideas about shark fins, powdered rhino horn and such bullshits. They should go extinct before whales and rhino and elephant.
Do you know their government funded whaling while they begged for post tsunami charity from the World?

I think you'll find it's China, not Japan that is far more into the weird medicinal compounds.

And killing whales is fine if you kill the right kind.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Rhino numbers have generally been increasing due to conservation efforts but there has been a surge in poaching over the last few years that threatens this.

Rhino Conservation - Save the Rhino

Am hoping to run the Brighton Marathon in full rhino regalia in 2015. See you there!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Killing whales is never fine - It is said that a single whale dying naturally in the seas can provide food for oceanic life for 100 years. Extracting such a significant biomass has serious implications apart from just for the whale itself.

Killing Minke Whales in reasonable numbers will not have the impact you suggest.

Who said what you stated? Some biased party? You can get anyone to say anything for the right amount of $ and there's plenty of whale propaganda paid for by various organisations.

Whales aren't some sacred beast, they are a resource like any other animal can be if managed properly.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Funnily enough, I have not seen a Rhino on my allotment yet this year ?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
No coincidence that China has a huge and growing financial stake in mineral extraction from many African countries. Many thousands of Chinese now work across the continent providing a presence that by tradition is, and always has been a threat to wildlife in Africa, whether it be for ivory, or general animal by-products for the oriental 'remedy' markets. Japan has no real stake in this area, but does of course drive the whaling industry across the globe.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Funnily enough, I have not seen a Rhino on my allotment yet this year ?

I had an elephant in my fridge last week.
How could I tell ?
Footprints in the butter.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I had an elephant in my fridge last week.
How could I tell ?
Footprints in the butter.[/QUOTE

I saw a guy on the Undergound tearing up newspaper into little pieces. I asked him what he was doing and he told me that he was doing it to keep the elephants away. "But there aren't any elephants down here" I said. "Yeah, works well doesn't it?" he replied.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Ethically we clearly wouldn't agree as I would never consider any animal to be merely a "resource"

However, logically, each individual whale weighs many tonnes - when naturally diseased it will feed millions of organisms from the very bottom of the oceanic food chain and up and for many years. This differs from mankind fishing the seas for smaller fish, as they already have a specific role in a food chain - compared to the carcases of whales which are the beginnings of many and over time will result in the support of millions of oceanic lifeforms from countless species - and that's just one whale. Multiply that by tens of thousands every year and there are serious implications to oceanic biological systems - all for the selfishness of one nation.

Whaling never actually caused one Whale species to become extinct. Nor have Whale numbers been decreasing due to any farming still going on. In fact it's the opposite. Whale numbers are increasing yearly through all species.

Given only 1-2 nations farm a few whales the over reaction to this is mind boggling.

A conservative estimate of Minke Whale numbers is over 500,000 in the oceans of the world. Japan probably kills between 500-1000 Minke of which numbers makes up the majority of their captures.

That's not even close to 1% of all Minke Whale numbers.

But no, there's no over reaction happening at all.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think you'll find it's China, not Japan that is far more into the weird medicinal compounds.

And killing whales is fine if you kill the right kind.

Yes, and that shows the hypocrisy of it all; it's OK to kill an animal if there are lots of them but it's just so wrong if there are only a few left!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here