Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion told: You're in great shape for play-offs [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Albion told: You're in great shape for play-offs[/h] 9:00am Thursday 2nd May 2013 in Albion By Brian Owen
2433113.jpg
Albion on their way to another clean sheet
Albion have been tipped for play-off glory – because they are so tough to beat.
The Seagulls will discover who they meet in the semi-finals on Saturday with a derby against Crystal Palace currently looking favourite.
Former short-term Albion striker and current BBC summariser Steve Claridge – who watched Palace draw 0-0 at Millwall on Tuesday – reckons they look better equipped than their local rivals for play-off success.
And not just because of their silky passing football.
Claridge told The Argus: “Brighton have found a way of playing that suits the play-offs.
“Everybody says they play this great style – and they do on occasion. But they also grind it out.
“I’ve seen them play away from home three or four times and it is all about being hard to beat.
“They are difficult to play against, tough to break down.
“I think it is only people who haven’t seen them who think they play this wonderful passing game every week. They don’t.
“They don’t see that actually they go to some places and sit very deep, defend deep.
“They have got a really good defensive record but people don’t look at that.”
Albion are unbeaten in eight and have conceded just two goals in six games in which Matt Upson, Gordon Greer and Liam Bridcutt have all played.
Palace have not won in nine matches after their stalemate at The Den.
Claridge, who scored the winning goal in second-tier play-off final for Leicester in 1996, said: “The whole game was very poor. Palace didn’t look a team, they looked like individuals.
“On their day, of course they can be dangerous because they have got players who can hurt you.
“But those players aren’t playing particularly well.
“If I was in Brighton’s shows I would want Watford to get promoted automatically.
“I think against Hull you probably know what you are going to get.
“Watford can be a little bit unpredictable. They have got players who can hurt you.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here