Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bayern Munich season tickets - £104

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"We could charge more than £104. Let's say we charge £300. We'd get £2m more income but what is £2m to us? In a transfer discussion, you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan. We do not think fans are like cows who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody. That's the biggest difference between us and England." - Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In fairness, Bayern are not a good example. They are a footballing power house who can afford not to charge top dollar at the gate. Man Utd don't charge £104 but they do have some VERY low season ticket prices by English standards. Why? Because they can. It's small beer compared to the endorsements, TV money and global merchandise sales.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In fairness, Bayern are not a good example. They are a footballing power house who can afford not to charge top dollar at the gate. Man Utd don't charge £104 but they do have some VERY low season ticket prices by English standards. Why? Because they can. It's small beer compared to the endorsements, TV money and global merchandise sales.

You can pick pretty much any German football club and it will be the same though.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
It's a great sentiment but not applicable to most clubs. That sum is equivalent to one Jose Ulloa. And we know what a big difference that can make.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Another example of how the Germans have looked after their fans.

I think Beyern are a great example when you compare them to Arsenal and Chelsea - two clubs owned by billionaires that have priced their traditional support out of attending.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath

Thing is, it isn't just Munich. All the German clubs are the same. I have been to see Hanover a couple of times. They get bigger gates than he majority of premiership clubs for he same reason. It's cheap. Standing, drink beer and smoke whilst watching the game. Basically like the old days without the crumbling terraces.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You can pick pretty much any German football club and it will be the same though.
Indeed, that's why gates average 42,000. I just don't see why the media article picks on Bayern.

Go to Duisberg or Leverkusen and ask them how they do it - neither of them get particularly big gates. (20,000 ish)

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a great sentiment but not applicable to most clubs. That sum is equivalent to one Jose Ulloa. And we know what a big difference that can make.

Also equivalent to CMS :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another example of how the Germans have looked after their fans.

I think Beyern are a great example when you compare them to Arsenal and Chelsea - two clubs owned by billionaires that have priced their traditional support out of attending.

Maybe the difference is that, aside from a couple of 'works' teams, fans own the clubs in Germany?

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I guess also, when half your team is made up of products from your youth set-up you can afford to be philanthropic?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This sort of thing confirms how badly we have got things wrong in this country. Cheaper tickets,better facilities, standing sections, attractive football, now showing their class in European competition, despite hiring foreign players there seems no detriment to the German national team's strengths at international level.

So, who won the blinkin' war anyway ?

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Indeed, that's why gates average 42,000. I just don't see why the media article picks on Bayern.

Go to Duisberg or Leverkusen and ask them how they do it - neither of them get particularly big gates. (20,000 ish)

Leverkusen has an average of 92.7% full for the whole season. Their ground only holds 30000. So actually they are doing fairly well too.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Leverkusen has an average of 92.7% full for the whole season. Their ground only holds 30000. So actually they are doing fairly well too.

The crowd sizes are pretty mad in Germany. I sat with 74,000 others watching a second division game earlier this season. I will be going to second division Koln next week and the game is sold out at just over 50k for a second tier game. And I went to a 30k sell out at St Pauli last weekend.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
This sort of thing confirms how badly we have got things wrong in this country. ...

So, who won the blinkin' war anyway ?

Thatcher. There's no such thing as society/community, and income is maximised to as high a level as the market will hold.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The club should ask the fans/supporters/customers re: ticket prices - especially at our club.

I agree with Hoeness. There is a very strong argument that should the Albion get to the Premier League then the prices should go down! The spike in ticket prices compared to other revenues including sponsorship and TV money are really inconsequential. The Albion need to rebuild a lost generation of support. There are thousands of Albion fans that showed incredible loyalty to this club and for an institution that maintained a link to its community through AITC then at the (potential) moment of greatest reward Tony Bloom, Barber and the rest of the board should set an example and reward supporters.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The club should ask the fans/supporters/customers re: ticket prices - especially at our club.

I agree with Hoeness. There is a very strong argument that should the Albion get to the Premier League then the prices should go down! The spike in ticket prices compared to other revenues including sponsorship and TV money are really inconsequential. The Albion need to rebuild a lost generation of support. There are thousands of Albion fans that showed incredible loyalty to this club and for an institution that maintained a link to its community through AITC then at the (potential) moment of greatest reward Tony Bloom, Barber and the rest of the board should set an example and reward supporters.

I tend to agree with this. The club should structure prices with the aim of filling the ground and provide a 1000 cheap 'entry level' tickets.

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
Yeah yeah, all well and good, but without squeezing every last drop of cash out of the football cow, how will you be able to attract the top names, play the best football and ensure that only rich and beautiful people will be seen around your club? The Germans may look after their poor fans, but they pay for it with a lower level of football, and will obviously never be able to compete in Europe with the glamour clubs from the UK and Spain, or at the international level.

Oh...

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whatever the merits of English and German football you cannot argue about this. I give you Mrs Schweinstiger.

Attachments

• sarah-brandner_diaporama-300x227.jpg
    sarah-brandner_diaporama-300x227.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,031

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here