Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play off mindset

MACCAPACCA

Feb 18, 2009
Worthing
We are the only team who know exactly our position this week. We are in the play offs and we are at home second leg. No other team knows this. Surely a big advantage as we can relax and enjoy this week, when no other potential opponent can. Agree?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Was thinking the same, Watford/Hull will be gutted the others are chasing their tail just to get here whilst we are comfortable an on good form- must give us but of an edge.

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We are the only team who know exactly our position this week. We are in the play offs and we are at home second leg. No other team knows this. Surely a big advantage as we can relax and enjoy this week, when no other potential opponent can. Agree?

Not always an advantage, as teams have been known to fail to pick up again, once they have relaxed. I can't see this being a problem for us, with just one game to go though. So yes I agree we are handily placed right now.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is it really an advantage to be at home in the second leg? I wonder what stats there are to back this up.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can be spun either way . Anything can and does happen in play offs. Let's face it. A dodgy ref and you can be out . If lady luck is with you then anything possible. No luck = going out .

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Compare Reading versus West Ham last year.

Reading had time to prepare for the PL - West Ham didn't. But look what happened. Same
principle.

I hate Reading btw.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Is it really an advantage to be at home in the second leg? I wonder what stats there are to back this up.

I would like to see the stats too - surely if you can win your first leg at home, the second leg puts more pressure on the side playing catch-up. Being at home is usually an advantage, therefore the side playing at home first should be able to go into the second leg at an advantage, as long as they are able to capitalise on that first leg. For me, losing one or two nil away in the first leg is psychologically a bad thing. If you can draw or win your away leg, you're laughing. If you get extra time or penalties, i can see the advantage, but, anyway, show me the stats and i will very happily shut up....

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Since the Championship existed (which is all I looked at) across all three divisions the team that is top of the play-off places has the edge over the team in bottom. (no surprise). The team that finishes in the third play-off place has the edge over the team in second, by quite some margin, so does not look that home advantage is that big. Of course I should point out that it is only a small sample set (eight seasons with three divisions).

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Gus seems to think home advantage in second leg is massive, especially if it goes to extra time and penalties due to home ground.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nobody has gone up from 4th place since Charlton in 1998.

Just saying.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
...though of course that doesn't mean there is no advantage at all to a second leg at home; just that many of the teams over the past ten years have not fully capitalized on this advantage for whatever reason.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I'm trying to get into the mindset that we've already had a fantastic season, best for 20 years at least and that getting through the semis Wembley would be mind blowing, and then if we actually win to go up would be out of this world!

So trying to prepare for failing in the play offs so I don't get too depressed and look at the bigger picture instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here