Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Estate Agents trying to talk up the market..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seems Estate Agents are doing their best to try and talk up the market. Our economy is smaller than it was in 2007, inflation continues to outstrip wage rises and national debt is still going up. Round here Estate Agents are doing their upmost to talk up the market and try and push it beyond 2007 levels. Don't these people ever learn?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sold ours in a month, despite it being small, for more than we bought it for - and we bought in 2007. Been gazumped on one that we were going to buy and about to put in an offer on another if we don't get beaten again. In Brighton, Hove and Portslade the guy's right, the market is on the move again.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Seems Estate Agents are doing their best to try and talk up the market. Our economy is smaller than it was in 2007, inflation continues to outstrip wage rises and national debt is still going up. Round here Estate Agents are doing their upmost to talk up the market and try and push it beyond 2007 levels. Don't these people ever learn?

The market is showing signs of waking up but I don't think the economic factors that you mention are that relevant any more. There is such a supply/demand imbalance in the south east that the only way is up for house prices, until many more houses are built. However with the passionate opposition to housebuilding by those already luckily enough to have one, means that there may never be enough houses to bring things in balance and make houses affordable to first time buyers and younger people.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
The way they put pressure on landlords in London to up the rent at every possible rent review is nothing short of a ruse.....a year or so ago our commercial landlord at our business premesis got carried away with himself and increased our rent (after the first 18 months) by 45%.....bearing in mind the amount of free office space in the centre of London these days it goes without saying that we looked elsewhere and went through the thoroughly unpleasant task of moving offices......

they are just as bad with the residential London market too

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
as someone who works and has a business in the area, (not estate agency I'd add) I've seen that this town's financial prosperity is incredibly and closely tied up to property, more so than most places i've lived in - if it moves freely and people feel good about buying and selling there is a feelgood factor that leads to other businesses doing well here too (DIY, furnishings etc) - so if we want to minimise the recession I personally do hope the agents talk the market up because confidence is key and without it there's not a lot of other industry or businesses to boost the City's future prosperity!

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
as someone who works and has a business in the area, (not estate agency I'd add) I've seen that this town's financial prosperity is incredibly and closely tied up to property, more so than most places i've lived in - if it moves freely and people feel good about buying and selling there is a feelgood factor that leads to other businesses doing well here too (DIY, furnishings etc) - so if we want to minimise the recession I personally do hope the agents talk the market up because confidence is key and without it there's not a lot of other industry or businesses to boost the City's future prosperity!

this!!!! If estate agents/restauranteurs/all businesses/all individuals said we are all doomed & talked down all the time it would lead us all into deeper recession.
As far as estate agents are concerned, if people can afford a property/get a mortgage then all people that buy property are adults so it their decision
& shouldnt be based solely on what an estate agent might or might not say.
Tell you one thing on the up is the albion :albion2:

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think TV need to commission more property programmes like they did in the good ol' noughties. These bloody cookery programme won't get the economy moving will they ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

So basically you are saying build the towns prosperity is built on hope. The problem with Estate Agents hope it runs out in the end, at some point on the quantative easing is going to come home to roost. We will see higher inflation and higher rates, thats when the likes of some of the banks will realise they have toxic debt up to their eyeballs and people that can only afford mortgages on low rates. Talking up the market is downright irresponsible...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So basically you are saying build the towns prosperity is built on hope. The problem with Estate Agents hope it runs out in the end, at some point on the quantative easing is going to come home to roost. We will see higher inflation and higher rates, thats when the likes of some of the banks will realise they have toxic debt up to their eyeballs and people that can only afford mortgages on low rates. Talking up the market is downright irresponsible...

The difference now is that the Bank of England sets interest rates and has an inflation target to meet (i.e. keep it BELOW this). During the housing bubble property went up everywhere whereas now it is starting to react correctly to supply and demand again. The Bank know that they need to keep interest rates low both to get people spending rather than saving in areas doing less well as well as not killing the resurgence in London and the South East. If they had any sense at all they would also have measured the amount of QE they carried out against their inflation target and carefully balanced the two. The best thing government ever did was remove itself from the setting of interest rates. We haven't seen the 15 - 17% rates associated with the end of Thatcher since.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The best thing government ever did was remove itself from the setting of interest rates. We haven't seen the 15 - 17% rates associated with the end of Thatcher since.

This.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I can't see the market taking off due to the increasing mortgage rates. Bank of England lending rate at a historic low for the last what, 3-4 years ? yet recently the lenders have started upping their rates.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I can't see the market taking off due to the increasing mortgage rates. Bank of England lending rate at a historic low for the last what, 3-4 years ? yet recently the lenders have started upping their rates.

No they have been reducing them almost weekly since FFL came in. The trouble is they still only really want 75% ltv and under mortgages and those over that pay a premium. Lender have no appetite to lend at 90% and haven't for 5 years now. A 90% rate is still nearer 5%.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No they have been reducing them almost weekly since FFL came in. The trouble is they still only really want 75% ltv and under mortgages and those over that pay a premium. Lender have no appetite to lend at 90% and haven't for 5 years now. A 90% rate is still nearer 5%.

Ah, right..... I'm swimming in the Deep End here and you have longer legs, I'm just going by a couple of friends whose fixed term rates have jumped up sharply at the end of their terms.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ah, right..... I'm swimming in the Deep End here and you have longer legs, I'm just going by a couple of friends whose fixed term rates have jumped up sharply at the end of their terms.

If they have come to the end of their fixed rate they are no longer on a fixed rate and paying the lender's variable rate. They need to talk to me. :thumbsup:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Out of curiosity is anyone out there doing non status mortgages anymore? And if do what is % LTV (previously 30% Deposit was virtually enough on its own wasn't it?)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Out of curiosity is anyone out there doing non status mortgages anymore? And if do what is % LTV (previously 30% Deposit was virtually enough on its own wasn't it?)

They went in 2008.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here