Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mathew Upson

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll admit it, when he first signed he didn't look all that. However, as the season has gone on, he's looked absolutely pivotal to this team. Competition in the centre back area has surely never been so strong at the Albion as it is now, and must be the main reason we have the joint best defence in the league.

So anyway, he's on loan from Stoke. Is there any chance we could sign him at the end of the season? I reckon he'd do a job in the Premiership and is obviously very good at this level, so I'd take him whatever division we're in.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Agree and looking a possibility I'd say as he is not listed in the Stoke player profiles section :)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Yes whatever league we are in although if we are in the Premier League I'd like us to sign a solid younger/faster CB as well.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm sure Pulis has said something to the effect that Upson was at Brighton to earn himself a contract.

Or did I dream that?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
No don't think so. Or if you did I had the same dream!

Thanks for that - dreams and reality seem to slip into one these days!

tumblr_lrv7kdGy8S1r08eqio1_500.jpg

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
From The Sentinel (February 2013):

Pulis confirmed that Matthew Upson would definitely part company with Stoke when his contract expires in the summer.

The 33-year-old former England defender joined Brighton on loan until the end of the season last month after just 11 league starts in his 18 months in the Potteries.

"Matty is at Brighton to get himself a contract," said Pulis.

"He hasn't played as much for us as he would have wanted, but he has been brilliant for us."

Jimmy Grimble

Sure we have had a few threads on this already, but yes, he would be a good singing regardless of league.

Out of interest [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] when did you go from thinking he 'wasn't all that' to a decent player for us? I can only think of one game where he was poor.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here