Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Be honest - how many of us in August foresaw a 4th place finish?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I know I didn't - a hope of sniffing 6th/7th.

It's been a bizarre season for consistency from anyone, but... everyone is in the same boat, and no-one has cheated their way to their final placings. So we're fourth on merit, with a clear improvement having taken place in the second half of the season, and a pretty good final run-in.

I'm sure there's a poll about with people's final predictions, so though I was only three or four places out - there's still no way I'd say we were good for fourth at the start of the season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Two things. Firstly, the league is incredibly even. Back to back wins would take teams several places up in the table, even at the end of the season by which time you'd have expected the league to have strung out a bit. Before January, we were as likely to manage this as anyone else - pretty unlikely. We'd dominate, but wouldn't put teams away, which leads me onto the second thing:
back in August, our best striker was Craig MacKail Smith. Now we have a striker good enough for the Premiership.

Not only that, Barnes looks a better player than I could have envisaged alongside Ulloa. Consequently, we have turned those draws into wins.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I tipped 8th. And we could easily have been anywhere between 2nd and 10th this season. A good late run into the play-offs has added some shine to a very enjoyable season. I'm delighted to have underestimated our super soaring seagulls.

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
I definitely thought we could improve on last seasons finish but that depended on getting a front man, got the keeper and full backs required a couple of midfielders good squad improvement so was hoping to sneak playoffs.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I thought we'd finish lower than last season and I think I was correct, until Ulloa and Upson joined, our form since the new year has been superb and I'm delighted to have been proved wrong :thumbsup:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Willing to admit I saw us as 7th with distance between us and a play off spot, but safe from 8th place.

I remain amazed and excited at how close this league has been this season and sort of want us to stay and play in the championship again next year.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I thought we'd do better than last season, but only just.

It's a tough league and Gus and the boys have done brilliantly.

Whatever happens in the play offs, Gus has overseen season by season improvement.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Be honest - how many of us in August foresaw a 4th place finish?
I thought we had a good chance of being in the top few. We only fell short towards the end last year, and we made quite a few good signings. (note, I don't give my honest opinion in polls)

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Gus said the goal this season was the play-offs & I trusted him.
Now we've hit that goal anything else is a bonus.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Honestly, after the performance we put in against Watford at the Amex I expected a mid-table finish.

I'm currently enjoying a hefty slice of humble pie.

Agree with that, I couldn't see how we could possibly make the playoffs after that result... but our consistent ability to avoid defeat has paid dividends in the end!

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I know I didn't - a hope of sniffing 6th/7th.

It's been a bizarre season for consistency from anyone, but... everyone is in the same boat, and no-one has cheated their way to their final placings. So we're fourth on merit, with a clear improvement having taken place in the second half of the season, and a pretty good final run-in.

I'm sure there's a poll about with people's final predictions, so though I was only three or four places out - there's still no way I'd say we were good for fourth at the start of the season.

I did. And I said it all the way through the season, even during the 'bad' times. If only I hadn't thrown away my lead at the top of the betting game, I could have claimed to have been right on just about everything BHA related this season. Probably best for all concerned that I did.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I had us down for 5th, apologies for my error!

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
With the squad we had assembled come the close of the January transfer window, I'd have considered this season a disappointment if we didn't finish in the top six. As it is, job done.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here