Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laptop help please

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
I have a Samsung N110 notebook which now wont boot up. When i try, I get one just one light come on, a quick flash of the others, then nothing.

i have tried starting in safe mode, but same result. Tried with mains or battery, but no joy.

Having looked on line, it looks like it maybe the motherboard or faulty switch. I have taken the back off and cleaned the dust out, everything looks ok, but then again I don't know what I'm looking for.

Seems I will have to get a pro in to sort it, but as I don't want to get ripped off, has anyone experienced this and got a clue what it might be? Also can anyone point me at a decent repairer in the Worthing area. Preferably someone that will either come round or if I take it in do it there and then.

Thanks in advance.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Try another Power Supply.
If yours has been faulty for a while it will mean you battery is flat as well.

Much cheaper to get one from ebay before resorting to the repairers.

I have a Samsung N110 notebook which now wont boot up. When i try, I get one just one light come on, a quick flash of the others, then nothing.

i have tried starting in safe mode, but same result. Tried with mains or battery, but no joy.

Having looked on line, it looks like it maybe the motherboard or faulty switch. I have taken the back off and cleaned the dust out, everything looks ok, but then again I don't know what I'm looking for.

Seems I will have to get a pro in to sort it, but as I don't want to get ripped off, has anyone experienced this and got a clue what it might be? Also can anyone point me at a decent repairer in the Worthing area. Preferably someone that will either come round or if I take it in do it there and then.

Thanks in advance.

The Laptop Workshop - How to get in touch
They're in Broadwater and its a good place to take it, they'll give you a price before they start and dont charge full price if they cant fix it, plus you get a guarantee if it conks out again 1 or 3 months depending on level of repair.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Is there any chance you've got a memory card in the reader slot or memory stick in a USB ???
If you have the com doesn't know where to boot from........just pull it out and try again.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
As s.5 says, but I would make sure you have nothing plugged in, remove all external devices, CDs, USB devices etc and try again....

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
Is there any chance you've got a memory card in the reader slot or memory stick in a USB ???
If you have the com doesn't know where to boot from........just pull it out and try again.

No I haven't, and it answer to a previous post, i have used 2 different chargers, so I would appear to be something within that has gone tits up.

Always the same, you keep thinking that I ought to back this up to a stand alone hard drive, but never get around to it. Half my life is on there.

Thanks for your post, along with others its much appreciated.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
try taking the battery out then booting it (obviously with a power supply plugged in)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
take it to one side....whisper in the microphone jack...very quietly and with maximum menace..." If you don't boot up now you useless heap of South Korean shite, I am going to reprogramme you with this **** off big axe I have in my hand"

You will be surprised how quickly they respond to that.

For this information, there is no charge!

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Try booting with knoppix, you should be able to get your system up and running, from there you should be able to copy and data you need...
Knoppix runs completely from CD, so you dont need to worry about your current OS..

Knoppix Linux Boot CD, Download Disk and Documents, Discuss, Get Help

If it works then you can also narrow down where the problem lies.. i.e Operating System or hardware

DanielT

take it to one side....whisper in the microphone jack...very quietly and with maximum menace..." If you don't boot up now you useless heap of South Korean shite, I am going to reprogramme you with this **** off big axe I have in my hand"

Properly chuckled at that

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing

Worth a try, so I walked towards it with my chopper in my hand and a determined look on my face, and all it did was say "Is it that time again!":lolol:

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
Cheers guy's for your ideas. I ended up taking it to the Laptop shop in Worthing as they are nearest, and they tried all sorts but concluded it was dead and only charged me £15.
They did however want £49 to download anything I want from my hard drive, so I swerved that, as I only want a few bits.

I'm told that if I get a Sata cable from ebay I should be able to do it myself for under a tenner. We will see.

PS. The guy Gripper recommended above contacted me and was really helpful, it was just that I couldn't get over to Hove at the time that i didn't use him. One to remember!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Laptop Workshop - How to get in touch
They're in Broadwater and its a good place to take it, they'll give you a price before they start and dont charge full price if they cant fix it, plus you get a guarantee if it conks out again 1 or 3 months depending on level of repair.

They have a shop in Haywards Heath and Uckfield and did have one in Mill Rd Burgess Hill now closed, I have used them a couple of times and they have never managed to fix anything but they have never charged me for trying.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
They couldn't fix it and they still charged you? Then they want a huge amount to retrieve stuff? They don't deserve to still be in business.

To be fair they took it in for a couple of days, ran some tests then rang to say they thought that they knew how to fix it & would charge £89 if it worked and £15 if it didn't.
No complaints, they earn't that. Sorry should have made that clear earlier.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here