Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking kids to a game...

albionsarah

Feb 2, 2009
oxfordshire
Hi. Just wondered what the deal is with taking a little one to football.

Do I need to get a children's ticket for a three year old, or could she sit on my lap?

Does she need to be a member??

Also, do you think three is too young to go to her first game? (her dad says it is!)

Any help, or thoughts, appreciated, thanks :)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
nothing in life is free you know that....

And yes in my opinion too young, but thats your decision

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You need a ticket for everyone, whether they sit on your lap or not.

That said, I think I know of a few people who have carried their little ones in using just the one ticket - those little ones are a lot younger than 3 though.

My daughter was at her first game when she was a few weeks old - they're rather easy to deal with at that age.

My boy, more practically, went to his first game around 18 months old. It was away - Leicester - as we knew the away end would not be full, so would allow him some space to toddle around in. His first Amex game was this season a few months before he was 3.

Taking your kids is great fun - it's a different day to the one you may be used to, but not in a bad way. It's important to hand the Albion down to the next generation!

albionsarah

Feb 2, 2009
oxfordshire
Thank you. I think she'll be okay concentration-wise, she'll sit with me and watch a game on TV every now and again.

I've been teaching her some Albion songs too, much to the annoyance of her Spurs supporting father ;)

Can't wait for the play-offs!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also, do you think three is too young to go to her first game? (her dad says it is!)
She won't be interested in the football, but you can still make it a family day out - just prepare ways of keeping her entertained. Perhaps take her every now and then, and as she gets older explain the basic rules (we have to kick it in that goal). Once she's a few years older she could be loving it.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Just take loads for her to do. My son is six and has two full seaons under his belt at the Amex. We take his Nintendo DS, mini ipad thing, progamme for the day, books, snacks, his camera and anything else he wants to take. He enjoys his football but will get fidgety and bored when we don't score every three minutes.

As for too young, I dont believe so.

DanielT

Thank you. I think she'll be okay concentration-wise, she'll sit with me and watch a game on TV every now and again.

I've been teaching her some Albion songs too, much to the annoyance of her Spurs supporting father ;)

Can't wait for the play-offs!!

if she has no problem concentrating then go for it! My boys come regularly now. But the first game or two when they were 4 I felt was a bit young for them - each child is different (no... really?!)

They know the proper word to GOSBTS now - but I really miss the earlier version of "Sausage by the Sea"

May be worth getting some mini ear protectors though

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I took my son to the St. Patricks Day Massacre for his 6th birthday and he loved it, ironic that my first game was a 3-2 against Palace 32 years before . I also have one about to turn 4 and I think its too young, I know he won't appreciate it and could throw a one. But all kids are different...

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The amount of families you see at the Amex with small children all decked out in thier blue n white is unreal , the club have done wonders in keeping the kids interested in Brighton during the dark times , the streets and parks once awash with man utd ect replica shirts are gone thank god .

Cant imagine a 3 year old will worry to much at why Ankregren is in goal on saturday but im sure there will be a good memory imprint of the experience of the day .

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Agreed with Taybha above, great seeing all the families at the Amex

I've taken my 7 year old a few times and my (then) 4 year old once last season. Eldest certainly was more engaged as opposed to 4 y/o who got fidgety after a while - all kids are different though (has that been said yet?!).

My only blocker for continuing to bring them (sitting in the North Stand) is the lack of awareness some will have when a young'un is around when it comes to firing their mouths off and I mean this only for, what I would say, are the extreme occasions where every other word is f or c - even the tamest of matches can turn the mouths on when the ref appears to have money on the game etc. I accept its my choice to bring the boy along and all this is par for the course at a footie match, but it is these extreme occasions I loathe as despite a couple of attempts to say "tone it down a bit", I myself I'm told where to go and I simply find that intolerable.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
One of the greatest sights is the dad and his young daughter that sit near me. She obviosuly absolutely loves the Albion and goes mental when we score...its great to see. Think she is hooked as one game over Christmas Mum took her; mum look thoroughly bored but kid was in great spirits

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here