Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Palace get a goalless draw & Bolton beat Blackpool 3-1 ...

... both Palace and Bolton end the season with identical goal difference & identical goals scored (+10 / 70-60).

Am I right in thinking that the tie-breaker would be the combined outcome of games between Palace & Bolton? In which case, it would be Palace finishing above Bolton, since the results earler in the season were Palace 0 Bolton 0 / Bolton 0 Palace 1.

Or am I imagining this rule?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
... both Palace and Bolton end the season with identical goal difference & identical goals scored (+10 / 70-60).

Am I right in thinking that the tie-breaker would be the combined outcome of games between Palace & Bolton? In which case, it would be Palace finishing above Bolton, since the results earler in the season were Palace 0 Bolton 0 / Bolton 0 Palace 1.

Sporting Life's table shows the following footnote

Positions: Promotion 1,2. Play Off 3,4,5,6. Relegation 22,23,24.
Teams receive three points for a win and one point for a draw. The bottom 3 teams will be automatically relegated to the division below.
If two or more teams finish level on points the team with the better goal difference will finish higher.
If two or more teams have the same points and the same goal difference, the team which has scored the higher number of goals will finish higher.
If two or more teams finish level on points, goal difference and goals scored, and the championship, a relegation place or European qualification is at stake, they will then play off to decide who finishes higher.

It doesn't mention your rule but the reference to a play-off doesn't appear to relate to play off places so you may be right.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
So.....
Bolton have to win by 3 goals then!

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
Taken from the official Football league site:
9.2 If two or more Clubs have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored the highest placed Club shall be determined by the respective League records against each other, taking into account in order of precedence, points gained, goal difference and goals scored.

Sporting Life's table shows the following footnote

Positions: Promotion 1,2. Play Off 3,4,5,6. Relegation 22,23,24.
Teams receive three points for a win and one point for a draw. The bottom 3 teams will be automatically relegated to the division below.
If two or more teams finish level on points the team with the better goal difference will finish higher.
If two or more teams have the same points and the same goal difference, the team which has scored the higher number of goals will finish higher.
If two or more teams finish level on points, goal difference and goals scored, and the championship, a relegation place or European qualification is at stake, they will then play off to decide who finishes higher.

It doesn't mention your rule but the reference to a play-off doesn't appear to relate to play off places so you may be right.
This seems to suggest that a play-off between Palace and Bolton might be required to decide who will get to play the Albion in the play-off semi-finals. When would they play that game?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

No, you're not imagining that rule. It's on the FL website....

The Football League | About Us | Regulations | Regulations Detail | Section 3 - The League

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
What would be brilliant would be:

Palace 0 Posh 1
Bolton 2 Blackpool 0
Forest 2 Leicester 0

I think Im right in saying that would drop Palace out of the playoffs altogether, and we'd be playing Bolton.

Taken from the official Football league site:
9.2 If two or more Clubs have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored the highest placed Club shall be determined by the respective League records against each other, taking into account in order of precedence, points gained, goal difference and goals scored.
But this confirms that Palace would pip Bolton to fifth place. What would have happened if the two games between Bolton and Palace hadn't separated the two teams?

Dec 29, 2011
This seems to suggest that a play-off between Palace and Bolton might be required to decide who will get to play the Albion in the play-off semi-finals. When would they play that game?

This isn't the case, but if it was, and the winner got Brighton (and the loser got an out-of-form Hull), imagine both teams trying to lose.

*We'll score one more (own goal) than you* :lol:

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
But this confirms that Palace would pip Bolton to fifth place. What would have happened if the two games between Bolton and Palace hadn't separated the two teams?

If the above procedures do not separate the Clubs, then the Clubs concerned shall play off a deciding League Match or Matches under arrangements approved by the Board on a neutral ground.

If the above procedures do not separate the Clubs, then the Clubs concerned shall play off a deciding League Match or Matches under arrangements approved by the Board on a neutral ground.
Theoretically, three teams might finish the season with the same goal difference, the same goals scored and draws in all six matches in which they have played each other. Unlikely, I know ... but how would they settle that dilemma? Three play-off games to decide who came 5th, 6th and 7th?

MuppetMaestro

Apr 22, 2013
Theoretically, three teams might finish the season with the same goal difference, the same goals scored and draws in all six matches in which they have played each other. Unlikely, I know ... but how would they settle that dilemma? Three play-off games to decide who came 5th, 6th and 7th?

I'd imagine they would have to. Unless they decide to do it on away goals and then bookings or whatever. Either way should they all finish on the same stats then Palace and Nottingham would take 5th and 6th respectively according to the rules discussed earlier.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What would be brilliant would be:

Palace 0 Posh 1
Bolton 2 Blackpool 0
Forest 2 Leicester 0

I think Im right in saying that would drop Palace out of the playoffs altogether, and we'd be playing Bolton.

im hoping for this scenario and the simpler "more points than you" rule sending Palace out of the playoffs :lolol: apparently Leicester havent taken a point at Forest since 1972 or something ridiculous, so its on the cards.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This isn't the case, but if it was, and the winner got Brighton (and the loser got an out-of-form Hull), imagine both teams trying to lose.

*We'll score one more (own goal) than you* :lol:

I thought this anyway about this coming Saturday. I'm sure both Bolton and Palarse would prefer Hull than us and if Hull are losing and Watford winning come 4.30 or so there could be some tactical going ons. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here