Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Animal cruelty up by 15%

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
according to the RSPCA
they also say that prosecution is the last resort:facepalm: the base of the problem as I see it is to many puppy and kitten farms and to many people not neutering their pets and ending up with pups and kits they do not want and of loading them unto others who leave them entire to continue the cycle.
its a sad thing to say but it has to be said if you do not want them have the decency to have them put to sleep it is the best for the animal as straying around the streets is really not a very nice thing for any animal.
IMHO the RSPCA do a reasonable job with the resources they have but and there is always that BUT I believe they must change their policy to a ZERO tolerance policy on cruelty and neglect, push to have every pet microchipped and then we might see those who want to make money out of the sale of animals without the care for them disappear.

end of rant

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I work with animals for a living. The RSPCA are a shocking waste of space. They do a reasonable job at re-homing but the prosecutions/animal welfare side of things is scandalous.

Could that be down to a lack of funding or poor management?

Certainly not funding. You would be shocked to find out how much money they have wasted on unsuccessful prosecutions of hunts since the ridiculous introduction of the hunting act.

Didn't I read somewhere recently about the RSPCA bringing a successful prosecution that cost the tax payer about £200,000 and the fine being £5,000?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
my original post was about animal cruelty by pet owners.
I would really not like to get into anti or pro hunt argument, we have had that argument on this board already
thanks

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I saw a clip on the news this morning about some puppies that had been buried alive, the RSPCA rescued them but unfortunately they were unable to bring them back to health and they had to be euthanised.

There really are some sick human specimens out there.

I saw a clip on the news this morning about some puppies that had been buried alive, the RSPCA rescued them but unfortunately they were unable to bring them back to health and they had to be euthanised.

There really are some sick human specimens out there.

Yes there is. A few years back I had the RSPCA knock on my door and demand to see my cat which I willingly showed her. Turns out about 5 houses away the little shits had hit their own cat with a hammer on its tail and the bones were sticking out. The cat was taken away and about a month later the parents brought them a puppy, I moved shortly after so have no idea what happened to it.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Yes there is. A few years back I had the RSPCA knock on my door and demand to see my cat which I willingly showed her. Turns out about 5 houses away the little shits had hit their own cat with a hammer on its tail and the bones were sticking out. The cat was taken away and about a month later the parents brought them a puppy, I moved shortly after so have no idea what happened to it.

Shocking. But all too prevalent or it at least seems to be reported more these days.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
according to the RSPCA
they also say that prosecution is the last resort:facepalm: the base of the problem as I see it is to many puppy and kitten farms and to many people not neutering their pets and ending up with pups and kits they do not want and of loading them unto others who leave them entire to continue the cycle.
its a sad thing to say but it has to be said if you do not want them have the decency to have them put to sleep it is the best for the animal as straying around the streets is really not a very nice thing for any animal.
IMHO the RSPCA do a reasonable job with the resources they have but and there is always that BUT I believe they must change their policy to a ZERO tolerance policy on cruelty and neglect, push to have every pet microchipped and then we might see those who want to make money out of the sale of animals without the care for them disappear.

end of rant

The RSPCA are a very poor charity ( in terms of ability / policy not money ). They allowed a food company to use their name yet didn't carry out a proper assessment of their products which in the end turned out to include some very unsavory farms. Their assessments for pet ownership are over strict. Not a fan of the RSPCA as a pet charity !

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
What a lot of people don't realise when they donate to the RSPCA is that any donations go straight into the head office's coffers. Absolutely nothing is distributed among local RSCPA rescues, all of which are, to all intents and purposes, independent and wholly responsible for their own fundraising.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
When there's no more war, I'll start worrying about the cats and dogs.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
according to the RSPCA

end of rant

Totally agree with this post and appreciate you are only referring to pets owners.

I just can't understand pet owners who talk about cruelty etc. whilst buying (cheap, mass produced) meat. Not accusing anyone here - but what is the difference between cruelty to pets and the whole scale maltreatment of animals that society has de-animalised as meat?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The RSPCA are a very poor charity ( in terms of ability / policy not money ). They allowed a food company to use their name yet didn't carry out a proper assessment of their products which in the end turned out to include some very unsavory farms. Their assessments for pet ownership are over strict. Not a fan of the RSPCA as a pet charity !

yes they got well and truly caught out there they do all to often make the most horrific ricks but I will say most of those at grass roots I have found really OK

What a lot of people don't realise when they donate to the RSPCA is that any donations go straight into the head office's coffers. Absolutely nothing is distributed among local RSCPA rescues, all of which are, to all intents and purposes, independent and wholly responsible for their own fundraising.
they did some time ago franchise out a lot of there rescues, but they also come under the rules of the RSPCA and those franchises do have to raise their own finances.
I am very close to lostcatsbrighton which is a charity and pound for pound they home more cats than the RSPCA it is a very small but committed charity.

Totally agree with this post and appreciate you are only referring to pets owners.

I just can't understand pet owners who talk about cruelty etc. whilst buying (cheap, mass produced) meat. Not accusing anyone here - but what is the difference between cruelty to pets and the whole scale maltreatment of animals that society has de-animalised as meat?

this
we have not eaten meat since the live exports from Shoreham, something that I do wish the RSPCA would make a more concerted effort to stop it has been going on from other ports since Shoreham was stopped and if there is one thing that really upsets me is the RSPCA sometimes standing by when there are animals in distress during live exports and in puppy farms particularly in Wales where a small group went some way to stopping some of them trading in puppies without any help from the RSPCA.
one of the most distressing things about that trade it was being done by the English who moved to Wales because their rules were more lax than in England, one good thing that came out of that was the Assembly have now tightened up the rules for pet farming in Wales.
one very small thing I was personally responsible for was the stopping of card adverts for pets in supermarkets to be sure many of them were put there without any supervision of the cards now I believe all supermarkets either monitor them or take down any advertising pets for sale, I did realise that by doing this there would be some casualties along the way which upsets me greatly ...but it is something I unfortunately have to live with ....if it means one puppy or kitten is saved from the neglect of being bought for a Christmas present in December and then dumped in April because it has to have money spent on it then I can just about live with that.
sorry more ranting

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
yes they got well and truly caught out there they do all to often make the most horrific ricks but I will say most of those at grass roots I have found really OK

they did some time ago franchise out a lot of there rescues, but they also come under the rules of the RSPCA and those franchises do have to raise their own finances.
I am very close to lostcatsbrighton which is a charity and pound for pound they home more cats than the RSPCA it is a very small but committed charity.

this
we have not eaten meat since the live exports from Shoreham, something that I do wish the RSPCA would make a more concerted effort to stop it has been going on from other ports since Shoreham was stopped and if there is one thing that really upsets me is the RSPCA sometimes standing by when there are animals in distress during live exports and in puppy farms particularly in Wales where a small group went some way to stopping some of them trading in puppies without any help from the RSPCA.
one of the most distressing things about that trade it was being done by the English who moved to Wales because their rules were more lax than in England, one good thing that came out of that was the Assembly have now tightened up the rules for pet farming in Wales.
one very small thing I was personally responsible for was the stopping of card adverts for pets in supermarkets to be sure many of them were put there without any supervision of the cards now I believe all supermarkets either monitor them or take down any advertising pets for sale, I did realise that by doing this there would be some casualties along the way which upsets me greatly ...but it is something I unfortunately have to live with ....if it means one puppy or kitten is saved from the neglect of being bought for a Christmas present in December and then dumped in April because it has to have money spent on it then I can just about live with that.
sorry more ranting

I utterly respect your dedication, few activists consider and agonise about the consequences of their positive actions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here