Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the worst BBC pundit?

Who is the worst BBC football pundit?

• Alan Shearer - tedious Geordie

Votes: 24 12.2%
  • Mark Lawrenson - the world's funniest man (in his own head)

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Mark Bright - one-eyed Palace thicko

Votes: 69 35.0%
  • Alan Hansen - same act for the last 20 years

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Steve Claridge - rabbit in the headlights

Votes: 18 9.1%
  • Leroy Rosenior - lower league as a player, lower league as a pundit

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Robbie Savage - argument in empty room

Votes: 14 7.1%
  • James Beattie - get off the fence, man!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gordon Strachan - hates the media yet glad to take their money

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Garth Crooks - it's football not a government inquiry

Votes: 47 23.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
After the Mark Bright discussion, it's time for you to choose the worst football pundit employed by our national broadcaster

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Garth Crooks

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
Garth Crooks - arrogant and opinionated and often, it seems to me, wrong.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Christ, what a choice. And yet, if Andy Townsend worked for the BBC, this would be made so much easier.

I'll go for Alan Shearer. The epitome of lazy, BBC golf-buddy, expensive pointlessness.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
This is a good poll, and I like your summaries.

Tough as though. Think I'm inclined towards Simster's point of view

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 26, 2009
East
Where's the 'all of the above' option?

I voted Crooks, but would be more than happy to see the back of every one of them!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Christ, what a choice. And yet, if Andy Townsend worked for the BBC, this would be made so much easier.
Exactly - IMO Andy Townsend is so terrible that his awfulness bleeds across to the BBC and makes him the worst pundit there also. That seems to be out of scope for this thread though so Crooks ahead of Shearer by a nose.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I'm pretty sure a simple flow diagram is a better way of analysing tactics than Alan Hansen

watch a 60 second clip leading to the goal

1. is there a big gap between the defence and midfield? put a yellow box there and waffle for 2 minutes
2. did the full-backs play the striker onside? put a graphic showing where they should have pushed forward to
3. did the referee make a mistake? BINGO, 5 minutes airtime.

Alan shearer is the same but 1 swapped with 3

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's so unfair having Crooks and Bright on the same list. Bright is more annoying but Crooks has been talking balls for so long he really has to edge it.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I like Steve Claridge. Where would we be every week without his desperate search through the crib sheet as he tries in vain to work out who the hell is the manager of Barnsley is before Manish moves on to highlights from the goalless draw at Pride Park.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Crooks is a fool - happy to argue his point but never seems to get the 'right' answer. Beattie makes me laugh- it seems like he has a complete lack of knowledge of the footballing world, so tries to gloss over it with a generic statement, or avoids the question altogether.

Leroy can stay, on the account that he's generally quite complimentary about us.

Personally, no-one can get close to Alan Green. I know he's not a pundit, but he's deplorable.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It might just have to be Mark Bright. Not because of the palace connection but because he has no right to judge other plays incapabilities and NEVER praises anything, just shouts and moans in a horrible voice. Then there's his striped shirts. And the fact he probably drugged Michelle Gayle for 12 years until she came to and escaped the idiot.

Yep, just shades it over Lawrensen, Shearer and Crooks.

Oct 25, 2003
during the olympics i became so aware of just how poor football pundits are....basically every other sport has real experts who present their opinions in a way that shows that they're knowledgeable and respectful. This shows that it can't be a BBC thing, but a football thing

rugby and cricket also has top punditry (although cricket is on sky) full of top range experts who clearly do their research and have insightful opinions

why is our national game so bereft of top level experts? Football pundits are either thick idiots or dull as anything....often both

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Garth Crooks by an obscene distance.

He's more argumentative and arrogant than any other pundit I can think of, obsessed with getting the last word in, even when he's been soundly beaten (usually muttering something like 'it's just my opinion' after loudly belittling someone else's for 5 minutes) and just generally comes across as a bit of an arse.

Now, if we can include presenters as well then it'd be close run between him and Adrian Chiles (so bad that he's the worst regardless of channel) the miserable, snidy potato headed tit.

*Deep breath*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here