Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A pedant writes ....

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The division above the Championship is not the Premiership. It's the Premier League. It hasn't been the Premiership since 2007.

I know the Argus keeps on about the Premiership, but their sub-editors are know-nothing f*ckwits who work from Southampton. The educated persons who contribute to this site are better than that. Aren't we?

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
they change all this stuff so often its hard to keep up.........at this rate the bloody milk cup will be changed to a new name soon.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
they change all this stuff so often its hard to keep up.........at this rate the bloody milk cup will be changed to a new name soon.

I believe it will be called the Rumbelows Cup from now onwards...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The division above the Championship is not the Premiership. It's the Premier League. It hasn't been the Premiership since 2007.
I thought it was the English Premiership, currently sponsored as the Barclays Premier League - but still the Premiership.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I particularly dislike it when players from the 1970s and 1980s say things like: 'And then, the following season we got promoted to the Premiership.' No, you didn't. It was Division One. You don't have to insult us by trying to make it relevant. We know what Division One means. We know you are not saying you were promoted to 'League One'.

OK, off my soapbox.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I particularly dislike it when players from the 1970s and 1980s say things like: 'And then, the following season we got promoted to the Premiership.' No, you didn't. It was Division One. You don't have to insult us by trying to make it relevant. We know what Division One means. We know you are not saying you were promoted to 'League One'.

OK, off my soapbox.

Bad, but not as bad as when people say it is the first time someone has been promoted to the Premier League, or that someone is the top scorer in Premier League history and ignores all football life pre-Premier League.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
This has been annoying me over the last few days. The Argus in particular, claiming promotion to the "Premiership" is worth x amount.

It's like calling the Championship "Division One", or "Division Two" for that matter.

Massively pedantic but it's in my nature.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I prefer the "top division" and we are currently in the "second tier" of english football because it annoys me that we are told football started in 1992 by TV

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The one that winds me up is that massive sign opposite the station which says "Albion in the Premiership?" Cos unlike The Argus, or Latest, or whoever else hasn't got sub-editors who live for this sort of thing, I can't avoid that one.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I thought it was the English Premiership, currently sponsored as the Barclays Premier League - but still the Premiership.

It's the Premier League, with Barclays the current title sponsor. At various times it has been called Premiership, but not since 2007.

History

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I can't believe people actually get wound up by this?

fair enough if its the media, but if its a mate down the pub or someone on here, does it really matter? you all know what eachover are talking about.

Surely its as pointless as pointing out someone calling a hoover a hoover, when its a vaccum cleaner. who gives a twits arse.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
What is the Zenith Data Systems Cup called now?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I can't believe people actually get wound up by this?

fair enough if its the media, but if its a mate down the pub or someone on here, does it really matter? you all know what eachover are talking about.

Surely its as pointless as pointing out someone calling a hoover a hoover, when its a vaccum cleaner. who gives a twits arse.

I know your type, living longer, getting laid regularly, never worrying about misplaced hyphens. Your loss

It ruins my day when I hear someone refer to a public address system as a Tannoy!. I am with Arthur though on 'Division 1', if they want to give the top two divisions stupid names then at least (if they must) change the names of the lower tiers accordingly (League 3 and League 4).

the only one's that get anywhere near making my piss boil though are EPL, PIN number, reversing backwards and Inter Milan

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here