Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foreign Players.....

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
After watching MNF and seeing Newcastle fielding 7 French players in the 2nd half Gary Neville had some very strong words to say about it all see link...

http://m.skysports.com/article/football//8680874

Is it time to put a ban on the amount of foreign players you can have in the starting 11 at any one time or is it working the way it is?

Normally I think Gary Neville is spot on but I'm undecided on this one!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
It would be bad news for Brighton if any such ban came in so I'm saying no! I would like to see more home-grown talent though

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
It would be bad news for Brighton if any such ban came in so I'm saying no! I would like to see more home-grown talent though

Exactly my feeling towards it, love the Spanish lads we have here although I don't think they've all been on the pitch at exactly the same time!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
British players are hugely overpriced, it's the way of business to get a bargain and find a good deal. I don't mind where players come from. if the Brits aren't good enough then the F.A need to help develop players, or English clubs need to become realistic in te transfer market

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
British players are hugely overpriced, it's the way of business to get a bargain and find a good deal. I don't mind where players come from. if the Brits aren't good enough then the F.A need to help develop players, or English clubs need to become realistic in te transfer market

Zahahaha going for 15 million pounds is a prime example of this. Tom Ince is not worth 25 million but you see his Dad's logic behind saying that when players like Zaha go for those prices.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Zahahaha going for 15 million pounds is a prime example of this. Tom Ince is not worth 25 million but you see his Dad's logic behind saying that when players like Zaha go for those prices.

Andy Carroll for £35m when he was playing for a mid table premiership side
Wilfred Zaha for £15m when he had an average season being a championship sides 2nd best winger
Michu for £2m when he'd finished as the third highest goalscorer in Spain behind Messi and Ronaldo

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Isn't there an EU law saying that European players can't be restricted as it contravenes freedom of movement for employment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"We've benefited hugely from foreign players in this country, Newcastle more than anywhere"
Really? Clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal have had a fair few foreign players in the past.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We're about 10 years behind the Spanish and 7 years behind the Germans when it comes to having a coherent, properly resourced, nationwide programme for developing young players. British players are, well, British, vastly overpriced and are not therefore value for money in relation to foreign imports. Until that changes the situation will stay the same.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Andy Carroll for £35m when he was playing for a mid table premiership side
Wilfred Zaha for £15m when he had an average season being a championship sides 2nd best winger
Michu for £2m when he'd finished as the third highest goalscorer in Spain behind Messi and Ronaldo

Football, a mad, mad world

Oct 25, 2003
managers aren't signing foreign players out of spite for the english game........they're signing them because they're better value for money

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
You wouldn't be able to restrict the amount of Europeans on the pitch for any time as due to being EU Citizens you can live and work anywhere in the EU, so from that point of view, it's a non-starter.
Unless we leave the EU of course...

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
You wouldn't be able to restrict the amount of Europeans on the pitch for any time as due to being EU Citizens you can live and work anywhere in the EU, so from that point of view, it's a non-starter.

So why do Spain, France, Italy and Germany are able to brag about their successes in home-grown talent ???

Actually, it would only be so if we left the single market............maybe a question of semantics though.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Problem is all English footballers are overpriced. Solution? Improve grassroots football = more higher skilled English players = Prices of English players will decrease = more teams will buy home grown players.. Simple(ish)

MuppetMaestro

Apr 22, 2013
So why do Spain, France, Italy and Germany are able to brag about their successes in home-grown talent ???

It's mostly to do with the lack of money in those leagues compared to the Premier League over the past 15 years. It's cheaper for them to produce their own talent and sell it on for big money to an English side. Conversely it is cheaper for a Premiership team to buy foreign youngsters and make them "home grown" or just buy them right out, like Michu, than to produce British players or buy.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
It's simple, English players are over priced and over rated. It's the managers quoting ridiculous price tags on players who still have a lot to prove, including Mr Poyet and the Will Buckley £10million comment.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
They are picking up on this here as well saying that too many foreigners are playing in the A League is effecting the national team.
It makes me chuckle as the A League standard of play is probably just above conference level and everyone here is from somewhere else.
If you check the Aussie national team selection you find most of the players selected are playing in the European Leagues anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

simply isnt true, as restircting the number of players on the pitch doesnt impact the players ability to sign for a club. they have imposed a restriction if you recall, there must be certain number of "home grown" players in the 25 man squad. EU law ensures you can work in an country, not that you can do a specific job elsewhere. i.e. an accountant qualified in Portugal isnt automatically entitled to work as a account in the UK unless their qualification match.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope I've watched the Albion for over 30 years and the current crop of foreigners have made the current team the most entertaining that I have seen. I'd be quite happy to see 11 foreigners representing the Albion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here