Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn to pay £2.25million compensation.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
BLACKBURN have been ordered to pay £2.25million in compensation to former manager Henning Berg following his ill-fated 57-day reign in charge.

The former Manchester United defender was dismissed in December after just one win in 10 games — meaning he cost them almost £40,000 PER DAY.

Berg was not in court to hear Judge Mark Pelling dismiss attempts by Rovers owners Venky’s to avoid paying Berg for the remaining 2½ years of his contract.

Venky’s lawyers had argued Blackburn MD Derek Shaw did not have the authority to sanction the compensation terms agreed with Berg as part of his contract.

But during the hearing at Manchester Civil Justice Centre, Blackburn’s conduct and business dealings were ridiculed by the judge.

He also ruled that the Championship club should pay £20,000 in interim costs.

Attempts by Blackburn’s legal team to lodge an appeal were refused by the judge on the grounds of the ‘unrealistic’ nature of the possibility.

Blackburn and Venky’s continue to have the option of pursuing the matter at the Court of Appeal.

Since Berg’s dismissal, Blackburn have since sacked his successor, Michael Appleton, following 67 days in charge at Ewood Park.

Under caretaker manager Gary Bowyer, the club secured their Championship status at the weekend with a 1-1 draw at home to Crystal Palace.

Read more: Henning Berg wins £2.25m compensation battle with Blackburn | The Sun |Sport|Football

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This doesn't surprise me. Blackburn's argument was essentially that the owners didn't know Berg had a severance clause in his contract, therefore they shouldn't be expected to honour it. Amateur.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
This doesn't surprise me. Blackburn's argument was essentially that the owners didn't know Berg had a severance clause in his contract, therefore they shouldn't be expected to honour it. Amateur.

Surely that's how contracts work? It's just what I assume is in there, not what's actually there? Or are you supposed to read the things?

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
Well that'll easily pay off the house I moved him in to haha. His family moved in with him on the Friday and he got the gooner at the start of the following week. Glad thw chicken lovers had to pay him out

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Thankfully we have sense and honourable behaviour as our modus operandi.
TONE would never act so foolishly, at either end of the deal.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
they have to be the most clueless owners in the league this lot - first they didn't know there was relegation and now they don't know what's in their contracts...amazes me they ever allowed this to go public as it just makes them look like headless chickens!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
they have to be the most clueless owners in the league this lot - first they didn't know there was relegation and now they don't know what's in their contracts...amazes me they ever allowed this to go public as it just makes them look like headless chickens!

Clueless, nope, Chancers definitely, they knew what their contractual commitments were and so did the Court.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Seriously ?? :lol:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If anyone would like to read the full judgment it is here amatuer would give them too much credit

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Seriously ?? :lol:

I don't know and I know that's the rumour that everyone was repeating, but I very much doubt that is actually true. It sounds good though. I would think about as much validity as most of the stories about Balloteli (which his agent was making up and feeding to the press)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Football club ordered to pay contract shock.

I genuinely feel for the Blackburn fans getting stuck with that lot in charge, any time they seem to be approaching a stable period one of the (apparently numerous) decision makers throws several spanners in the works.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

They're not very good at small print then, seeing as they didn't know they could be relegated from the prem :lol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't know and I know that's the rumour that everyone was repeating, but I very much doubt that is actually true. It sounds good though.

I'm pretty sure this is a myth: I know the Venkys aren't that clued-up but I can't see them spending millions without doing some due diligence.

Does anyone know whether Appleton has a similar case pending? He was there a matter of days too so I bet he's due a decent handout.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here