Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***** Official NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread 2013 *****

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Ok here we go then, for the uninitiated the Stanley Cup is Ice Hockey’s greatest prize. It is played for by the Play Off Champions of the Eastern Conference against the Champions of the Western Conference. The top eight teams from each conference qualify for the end of season playoffs. The team finishing in 1st place plays the team in 8th, 2nd plays 7th and so on. It’s not just one game though or even a home and away clash, it’s the best of 7 games to progress to the next round. The highest placed team getting the best draw. So this is how the first round of matches looks:

In the Eastern Conference

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Islanders
Bostons Bruins v Toronto Maple Leafs
Washington Capitals v New York Rangers
Montreal Canadiens v Ottawa Senators

And in the West

Chicago Blackhawks v Minnesota Wild
Anaheim Ducks v Detroit Red Wings
Vancouver Canucks v San Jose Sharks
St Louis Blues v LA Kings

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Now they have sneaked into the play offs, hopefully the Blueshirts can compete. They have the best 'tender and a strong defensive line. Need Mr Nash firing on all cylinders.

Let's Go Rangers

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
My Picks

Eastern Conference:

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Islanders
Bostons Bruins v Toronto Maple Leafs
Washington Capitals] v New York Rangers
Montreal Canadiens v Ottawa Senators

And in the West

Chicago Blackhawks v Minnesota Wild
Anaheim Ducks v Detroit Red Wings
Vancouver Canucks v San Jose Sharks
St Louis Blues v LA Kings

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Let's Go Rangers

Another Rangers fan here. It always amazes me how grueling the playoffs are with potentially 7 games played in a fortnight. I’d love to watch one of the Rangers games at Madison Square Gardens but the prices are ridiculous – especially if I need to get a flight back for the Brighton play off final :). But I’ll definitely be watching this Thursday on the tellybox.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Seen the Rangers at MSG, Air Canada and Bell Centre but only regular season games. Never managed a play off match but I imagine the atmosphere is amazing. Saw the Rangers vs the Islanders at MSG and that was good enough but am told the fans crank it up a few notches for the play offs.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Wonderful to see a Stanley Cup thread on NSC. Being Canadian I appreciate any and all interest in our national game. It's too bad for me that my local team - Calgary - were terrible and have missed the postseason yet again.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that Chicago and Pittsburgh are the teams to beat. The Western Conference isn't particularly strong this year with Anaheim being Chicago's main competition. Vancouver has too many injury problems and with Kesler played less that 100%, it will be difficult for them to advance too deeply. Los Angeles is a sleeper pick in the West. Great goalkeeping, big, mobile defence and some offensive punch to boot.

As for the East, if Crosby comes back at any point, watch out. With the recent acquisition of Jarome Iginla (Flames legend) and Brendan Morrow (Dallas) along with Douglas Murray (SJ), Pittsburgh announced their intention to win very loudly. 2011 champions Boston could be dangerous as well. The series with Toronto has the potential to be physical and hard-fought. Leafs Nation will be desperate for some postseason success seeing how they've missed the big show for 7 season prior to this one. I'm not convinced that Montreal will be able to emulate their 2010 run to the Conference Finals. They have tended to put up one good series performance followed by a terrible one. I don't see this changing this season.

The most tragic thing with the 2013 playoffs is that we were very close to having a Toronto-Montreal playoff series for the first time since 1979. These two historic franchises have faced off 15 times throughout Stanley CUp playoff history including 5 finals - the last being 1967. Had Boston beaten Ottawa on Sunday, we would be watching that series instead of Ottawa-Montreal, which geography notwithstanding, offers far less in the way of story lines as would Toronto-Montreal. Too bad.

Chicago have looked too good this year. Jonathan Toews is the new Joe Sakic. He is a top, top player. Solid goalkeeping, mobile defence and scoring in depth. I can't see them not coming out of the West. Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Iginla, etc. - this team is dangerous, very dangerous. If Crosby comes back, look out. He's by far the best player in the game today and he has an all-star supporting cast. Boston could make some noise since they have not lost many key personnel from the past few seasons. I wouldn't be upset if they won again. Any team that beats up on the Vancouver Canucks is ok in my book!

Game On!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Conventional wisdom would suggest that Chicago and Pittsburgh are the teams to beat.
The Rangers dodged a bullet by drawing the Capitals, at one stage it was looking like they could have been paired against the Penguins which would have probably signaled an early exit for the Rangers.

After the tragedy in Boston there will probably be a lot of neutrals supporting them. I certainly wouldn’t be upset if they made it all the way.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Where have you been Dr, there are quite a few Hockey fans on NSC. Brighton of course once hosted the famous Brighton Tigers and there are constant rumours of a new Ice Hockey pad in Brighton which never seem to materialize. I myself moved to MK in 1985 and have supported MK Ice Hockey ever since, my son now plays for the U18's. NHL wise I tend to support a team from the East (Leafs) and a team from the West (Kings) to maximize my chances, came up trumps last year.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Ah, the MK Kings. Do you remember a guy named Garnet Kazuik. I think he played in MK many moons ago.

I must admit that I'm a internet forum neophyte. I tended to view as opposed to post, but I now see the advantages in becoming a contributing member of NSC.

Lots of people in Calgary were happy to see LA win last year, partly for Darryl Sutter but mostly for them spanking the Canucks in 5 games. That was wonderful! Pittsburgh is the emotional favourite in Calgary right now due to Flames legend Jarome Iginla being traded there at the deadline. No one in the game today has been a better servant and role model for aspiring hockey players that Iggy and he is thoroughly deserving of his Stanley Cup.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Not really, though I see he played for Telford Tigers who were the Kings big rivals in the early 90's. MK team is now MK Lightning with Canadian Nick Poole at the helm.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Last Nights results

Chicago Blackhawks 2 v Minnesota Wild 1
Series (1-0)

Anaheim Ducks 3 v Detroit Red Wings 1
Series (1-0)

St Louis Blues 2 v LA Kings 1
Series (1-0)

As a Blackhawks fan it's been a very good year and certainly the hawks have exceeded all expectations. As for the playoffs in the west, the ducks are very dangerous and have been very consistent. I certainly won't discount the kings either because of the way they flew under the radar last year and where did that get them? However, the most dangerous team for the hawks are the red wings. They have had a nightmare of a season by their standards, been swept by the hawks and had to go on a win streak to get into the playoffs. How much would they like to get one over on their oldest of rivals one more time before the league realignment splits them apart?

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Latest Results

Pittsburgh Penguins 5 v New York Islanders 0
Series (1-0)

Boston Bruins 4 v Toronto Maple Leafs 1
Series (1-0)

Vancouver Canucks 1 v San Jose Sharks 3
Series (0-1)

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Anyone see the St Louis/LA game? LA equalized with 32 seconds left to play and then their netminder gifted the puck to an attacker in overtime to lose the game!!

Anyone see the St Louis/LA game? LA equalized with 32 seconds left to play and then their netminder gifted the puck to an attacker in overtime to lose the game!!

I heard about it on PTI and just watched it on NHL.com. I don't think Quick was expecting Steen to come down below the goal line like he did. Not sure if the defender shouted a warning or not to Quick either, but when in doubt...clear it!

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here

comedy goal tending from Quick... Blues were shorthanded too as they'd just given up a 4 minute minor penalty.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Not a good start for the Rangers losing 3-1 to the Capitals in their first game. Still plenty of time

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not a good start for the Rangers losing 3-1 to the Capitals in their first game. Still plenty of time
Go Caps.

Once again my team :)lol: that's even funnier than the Nat'nals) are WINNERS.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Last Nights results

Washington Capitals 3 v New York Rangers 1
Series (1-0)

Montreal Canadiens 2 v Ottawa Senators 4
Series (0-1)

Anaheim Ducks 4 v Detroit Red Wings 5
Series (1-1)

St Louis Blues 2 v LA Kings 1
Series (2-0)