Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes saves Leo from yellow card

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Any else notice that when Leo scores the deciding goal against Leeds he attempts to remove his shirt in celebration .
Only to have it fit pulled back onto his torso by Ashley Barnes .
Well done that man :clap2:

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Ash has turned into teacher's pet, like one of those ex-gangsters in the USA who tour schools preaching the gospel.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Shame he couldn't save himself from a seven match ban.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I thought he was trying to help him get it off, either that or pull it off his face before he ran into the goalpost

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Barnes almost certainly saved Ulloa from a booking as he was very very excited to have scored that winner and his shirt was half off before Barnes grabbed him.

Barnes has looked a much more mature player in the two games since his long suspension. I for one am delighted to have him here and would expect him to shine should we go up. It would be fantastic if he has now grown up. Not comparing him as a player but Beckham grew up after THAT petulant tackle in the World Cup. Maybe it will be the making of Ashley, he really did get plenty of coverage and completely ott abuse on here after that trip. He had a long time to mull it all over.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Barnes almost certainly saved Ulloa from a booking as he was very very excited to have scored that winner and his shirt was half off before Barnes grabbed him.

Barnes has looked a much more mature player in the two games since his long suspension. I for one am delighted to have him here and would expect him to shine should we go up. It would be fantastic if he has now grown up. Not comparing him as a player but Beckham grew up after THAT petulant tackle in the World Cup. Maybe it will be the making of Ashley, he really did get plenty of coverage and completely ott abuse on here after that trip. He had a long time to mull it all over.

Maybe he has been busy improving himself during his ban, rather then gallivanting around the country to go on TV in an evening when he should be studying the opposition

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I noticed that as well. Saw him mouth "no no no" to him as he was behind the goal.

Bloody hell. Maturity shown and he someone other than himself sent off! The NEW Ashley Barnes.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You're all clearly bias. I'm not and what actually happened was Barnes was trying to tear Ulloa shirt off him and get him suspended so he could can play up front.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Yeah l noticed that too. Well done Ash for sparing Leo from a stupidly earned yellow card. I'm delighted to have him too, he does a sound reliable job for the side, often deep in midfield, or out on the left flank, not his favoured positions, but also up front as a striker scoring a fair number of goals. However, whether he would be able to do perform as well in the Premier League should we be promoted, well l think that's another story ...

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yeah good to see especially as it was also very clear what he was trying to do (stop him getting booked). Very sensible play and hopefully a glimmer of light that the 7-match ban has forced him to mature a bit.

Good show Ashley (and Leo obviously for scoring!!)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Also, if ANY player would be to benefit from Leo being unavailable to play it would have been Barnesy. Well done to him for having his head screwed on in a moment of joy.

Or maybe he was trying to momentarily blind him and make him run into a STANCHION to INJURE HIM.

BLOODY HELL BARNES

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Technically, ulloa still should have been booked. The two shirt related cautionable offences with celebrations are removing your shirt and covering your face with it. His face was covered for a notable period (that is, more than normal when just removing a shirt... Unless you're balotelli).

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Maybe he spent a few weeks reading the laws

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Technically, ulloa still should have been booked. The two shirt related cautionable offences with celebrations are removing your shirt and covering your face with it. His face was covered for a notable period (that is, more than normal when just removing a shirt... Unless you're balotelli).

Hours of fun

[yt]erI5dG3_R5E[/yt]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I was a bit too excited to pay too much attention but I looked from Ulloa to the ref as he started his run to the away fans as he started to remove his shirt and I thought he looked like he was going for his pocket again. I was then distracted by Leo's almost Maradonna like demonic joy (when he ran to the camera in the WC) in front of us

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Don't know if somebody else has mentioned it somewhere but I was watching the highlights on seagull player and when Barnes was on the floor after the red card challege the Brighton player next to him (can't remember who it was) looked like he tried to kick Barnes in the back, he seemed to kick the ground just underneath him. Anybody else notice that?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Funny, But that commentator was so cringy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here