Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Relegation places

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It really isn't beyond the realms of possibility that a team (probably Huddersfield) could get relegated having accumulated 57 points. That is insane isn't it? That's only 5 fewer than Charlton, who had they not let in a last minute equaliser, would be going into the final day with a mathematical chance of a play-off place.

Although it is highly unlikely - they'd have to lose to Barnsley, Posh would have to beat Palace, Millwall beat Derby, Sheff Wed beat Middlesbrough - even going down on 54 (or more likely 55) seems ridiculously harsh (but fair, obviously).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It really isn't beyond the realms of possibility that a team (probably Huddersfield) could get relegated having accumulated 57 points. That is insane isn't it? That's only 5 fewer than Charlton, who had they not let in a last minute equaliser, would be going into the final day with a mathematical chance of a play-off place.

Although it is highly unlikely - they'd have to lose to Barnsley, Posh would have to beat Palace, Millwall beat Derby, Sheff Wed beat Middlesbrough - even going down on 54 (or more likely 55) seems ridiculously harsh (but fair, obviously).

When you put it like that, Hudds might actually be a little worried. That could make for quite a nice accumulator.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Funny old state of affairs. Obviously Barnsley and Posh are favourites for the third relegation slot (if you assume that Wolves are almost screwed already). But both are on decent runs of form and have a bit of momentum behind them.

Wednesday :lolol: have a home game against Middlesbrough, whose players are probably already on the beach, so bad have they been lately. With the Hillsborough crowd behind them, you could see Wednesday :lolol: getting points.

I can't see Huddersfield getting dragged back down now. I think Millwall are- unless they beat Palace tomorrow- the vulnerable team here. They are on an awful run, they can't score, their defence is rubbish, and I'm just not seeing where any momentum is coming from in their last game. Their entire season, for me, hinges on them using the atmosphere of the Palace game to motivate themselves. Lose that, and I think they'll go down.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When you put it like that, Hudds might actually be a little worried. That could make for quite a nice accumulator.
Obviously if Millwall beat Palace tomorrow, you wouldn't need that on your accumulator.

Although I can't see Sheff Wed failing to beat Middlesbrough, and can only really see a draw or home win at Palace. Peterborough are near the bottom and Palace might yet need the win.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Funny old state of affairs. Obviously Barnsley and Posh are favourites for the third relegation slot (if you assume that Wolves are almost screwed already). But both are on decent runs of form and have a bit of momentum behind them.

Wednesday :lolol: have a home game against Middlesbrough, whose players are probably already on the beach, so bad have they been lately. With the Hillsborough crowd behind them, you could see Wednesday :lolol: getting points.

I can't see Huddersfield getting dragged back down now. I think Millwall are- unless they beat Palace tomorrow- the vulnerable team here. They are on an awful run, they can't score, their defence is rubbish, and I'm just not seeing where any momentum is coming from in their last game. Their entire season, for me, hinges on them using the atmosphere of the Palace game to motivate themselves. Lose that, and I think they'll go down.
I'm not sure about that. I think Millwall will need two points from their two games - that would take them to 57 with a better GD than Huddersfield. This would mean that Huddersfield and Barnsley could finish above them, but not both of them, so therefore both Sheff Wed and Posh would have to WIN their last games to send Millwall down.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Miillwall have had a few good wins this season, especially away from home, doing us a few favours along the way too. That's the main reason l hope that they beat the drop. It's been a funny old season though, and l've a feeling that there are a few twists and turns left in it yet.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
It does seem crazy that being in 17th with one game to play isn't enough to escape relegation. Mick McCarthy was saying on FLS that he couldn't believe that Ipswich had to get 60 points before really being considered safe. Such a tight season.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I think it's happened before with Huddersfield when Palace scraped out of it. Hudds had a good few teams below them but all the results conspired to put them down. Couldn't happen again surely.!!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It does seem crazy that being in 17th with one game to play isn't enough to escape relegation. Mick McCarthy was saying on FLS that he couldn't believe that Ipswich had to get 60 points before really being considered safe. Such a tight season.

Yes, a bloody exciting one though!.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here