Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duke of York pub Victoria Station

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Haven't been to London for a while but noticed today that all that part of Victoria is being knocked down, stage door pub has gone, looks like duke of York isn't far behind. Always was a good meeting point for London games:drink:

Jan 30, 2008
Haven't been to London for a while but noticed today that all that part of Victoria is being knocked down, stage door pub has gone, looks like duke of York isn't far behind. Always was a good meeting point for London games:drink:
seen some good followings in both pubs, dissapointing if true
regards
DR

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I think more or less everything except the station, Shakespeare pub, theatre (and possibly the pub, which is joined onto the theatre) is coming down. This site explains it all: Victoria Circle, SW1 | List of major London properties | Land Securities

Surprisingly, some of the buildings going aren't that old - one of my former government department's buildings has gone, and that only dated from 1985, and it wasn't a bad building. To be honest, the area is a bit of a tip and needs rebuilding - one of the ugliest around a major railway station and an eyesore for central London. Even the station itself wouldn't be that great a loss in my view, since BR ruined the Sussex section. Only the area round the three Euston Road stations was worse, and that's had millions of pounds worth of investment in recent years. Victoria Street is particularly awful - only two buildings are from before the Second World War - the Albert (the pub Seagulls over London used to meet in) and a block of mansion flats. I presume it must have been badly bombed. The block housing the John Lewis headquarters and some Civil Service offices is particularly unpleasant. I worked in the area for six years and it never really improved. The only pity is that all the replacement buildings are glass; a bit of variety wouldn't have gone amiss.

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
I think more or less everything except the station, Shakespeare pub, theatre (and possibly the pub, which is joined onto the theatre) is coming down. This site explains it all: Victoria Circle, SW1 | List of major London properties | Land Securities

Surprisingly, some of the buildings going aren't that old - one of my former government department's buildings has gone, and that only dated from 1985, and it wasn't a bad building. To be honest, the area is a bit of a tip and needs rebuilding - one of the ugliest around a major railway station and an eyesore for central London. Even the station itself wouldn't be that great a loss in my view, since BR ruined the Sussex section. Only the area round the three Euston Road stations was worse, and that's had millions of pounds worth of investment in recent years. Victoria Street is particularly awful - only two buildings are from before the Second World War - the Albert (the pub Seagulls over London used to meet in) and a block of mansion flats. I presume it must have been badly bombed. The block housing the John Lewis headquarters and some Civil Service offices is particularly unpleasant. I worked in the area for six years and it never really improved. The only pity is that all the replacement buildings are glass; a bit of variety wouldn't have gone amiss.

Interesting to know what's actually going on, it's so chaotic there at the moment, especially trying to catch a Bus!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here