Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think it's so so so important we go up this year!!!

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
I just have a bad feeling if we don't go up this season I can see our fine squad being dismantled? It wouldn't be a suprise to start next season without gus, bridge, upson, Lopez, bridcutt, Vicente and maybe even ulloa.
So let's get behind the boys and get the club where they belong.

Feb 3, 2013
I just have a bad feeling if we don't go up this season I can see our fine squad being dismantled? It wouldn't be a suprise to start next season without gus, bridge, upson, Lopez, bridcutt, Vicente and maybe even ulloa.

Was thinking the same yesterday. Ulloa hasn't gone unnoticed and will have attracted attention from the vultures and am worried that as we've sold players in the past then clubs think our players are easy pickings.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I am always bemused by threads like this. Players change clubs. Live with it. We lost Lawro to Liverpool when we were in the top flight, so even being there is no protection. On the whole, I would prefer to live with the threat of top class players going elsewhere than being condemned to watch a side full of players so inept that no-one in their right minds would offer hard cash for.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011

Agree with this completely. Some of our squad is just waiting to be picked off and that includes Gus. If Gus can get us there then we would go in with half a chance of cementing a place there. I'm sure we would do well under Gus in the Prem.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think there might be some truth in this but I really don't think we will be selling on the cheap any more. Obviously, with Lopez, Bridge, Upson and Vicente, we have no option and they will go where they want as they aren't under contract.

However, with Bridcutt, Ulloa, Buckley, Kuszczak and of course Poyet, all of whom might get offers if we don't go up, there is no way we will let them go on the cheap. These days are past.

I also don't think it is the time to worry about it. We have to remain positive for the play offs and not put even more pressure on it. The worst that could happen is we have to rebuild in the Championship next year having lost a few players. With money coming from transfers and 23,000 season tickets holders, I think we would be an attractive proposition to a managers/players then.

In the meantime, we are potentially 3 games from the Premier League (and I can't believe I am saying that)!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That sounds lovely, so nice that I'm going out for a game of Golf as it's a lovely day. Have a nice day :)

It does, doesn't it. It is amazing to think just 4 years ago, we were nervously awaiting our final game of the season at home to Stockport with the threat of relegation to League 2 hanging over us still (having looked relegation certainties only a month before).

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Was thinking the same yesterday. Ulloa hasn't gone unnoticed and will have attracted attention from the vultures and am worried that as we've sold players in the past then clubs think our players are easy pickings.

So in other words, we should never sign any players who could be sold for a profit because someone else might want to buy them? Hmm not sure you have thought that one through correctly!

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
No. It isn't. We get stronger every year. Look at how much better our players are than last year, we may be challenging for promotion this year, but if our growth continues at the same rate, we have the potential to dominate next year.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

It is ... IT REALLY IS!.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
It would be great to go up and we do have more uncertainties with players than usual.

However, Gus won't stay for ever and players move on. It gives us the chance to bring in some even better players. Of those out of contract I think we could easily keep Spanish Dave and Upson. We might lose Bridge even if we went up. Vicente surely wouldn't be kept on.

We have a good supporter base and with the experience of this season should be capable of automatic promotion. In many ways we should have achieved a top two position this year!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I think the realistic thing is if we don't go up this season and Gus does go, we'll lose alot of quality players to bigger clubs but for decent money. Whoever comes in will have it to spend and will have a transitional season. If Gus stays, and he has the money to back himself up for an automatic promotion attempt then I can see one more season with this squad not wanting to go anywhere.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No. It isn't. We get stronger every year. Look at how much better our players are than last year, we may be challenging for promotion this year, but if our growth continues at the same rate, we have the potential to dominate next year.

Yes. It is. Wolves assumed they'd bounce straight back up and look what's happened to them. You have to grab the chance while its there because you have no guarantee when it'll next come around. a lot could change over the Summer. Norwich will do their annual cherry pick of our best players and nick Bridcutt for a start.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
Yes. It is. Wolves assumed they'd bounce straight back up and look what's happened to them. You have to grab the chance while its there because you have no guarantee when it'll next come around. a lot could change over the Summer. Norwich will do their annual cherry pick of our best players and nick Bridcutt for a start.

But we are not a little league 1 team anymore! Clubs like Norwich simply don't wield enough power or money to take our quality players. I understand (and share) they worry that in this crazy league we may not have such a good year next year, but the way we are going, I can only see us improving.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008

Losing a few players would be an irritant but they can be replaced. What can't be replaced are the Parachute Payments so for me it would be a JOLLY GOOD THING to go up this season. Don't forget that in a few years time the Championship will be split into 2 halves, those with the huge Parachute Payments and those without looking upwards with green faces.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But we are not a little league 1 team anymore! Clubs like Norwich simply don't wield enough power or money to take our quality players.

I'm not so sure. Heaven forbid, but if we're not in the Premier League next season and Norwich are, it'll be really difficult to stop any of our players making the move because the club are decent enough not to stand in the way of a player's ambitions.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Some nice pessimism here for my thread a bit further down.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We lose well loved players, then we get new heroes in. We hated losing Benno but love Spanish Dave. It's always the same whether we stay up, get relegated, maintain, or get promotion. Players come & players go, likewise managers.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I don't think it's important at all. In fact I think we should refuse to take part in the play offs, we've had a good season after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here