Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Austin & Calde red cards

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Sorry if fixtures but having just watched the FLS highlights does anyone else think that the first 2 sending offs yesterday were shocking decisions by the ref yesterday ? I keep looking at the Austin / Barnes clash and it looks like they collided and Austin just shrugged off Barnes but certainly couldn't see a punch thrown. And as for Calde how on earth can you get sent off just for having your arms all over someone and it certainly wasn't a clear cut scoring opportunity because the Leeds player had his back to goal wide of the goal. Shocking refereeing in my opinion !

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Haven't really seen the Austin one clearly, but the Calde one was a shocking decision. He hardly touched El Oaf, who went for the spectacular, cocked it up and then cried foul. I wonder if the club will dispute it?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I agree, we don't know exactly what Diouf did but if it was just grabbing his crotch I think a red for him is harsh too

Well Diouf was allegedly homophobic. If so, definately not harsh. As for the other two, the one on Barnes looked weak at best and Calderon's smacked of a ref making amends for the previous bad decision.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Leeds are appealing against Austin's red and I think we should do the same for Calde. Can't comment on Diouf's but I'm sure he deserved it whatever he did !!!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think best not to appeal

Bans can be extended if you appeal, granted it doesn't happen often but is it worth the risk ?

Calde is banned for one game next week against Wolves, what matters are the two games after that and with Bruno injured we need him available for the play-offs

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Diouf was in the process of shooting and Calde was last man, so I can see why that was given. The Austin one did look a foul but never a red.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I think best not to appeal

Bans can be extended if you appeal, granted it doesn't happen often but is it worth the risk ?

Calde is banned for one game next week against Wolves, what matters are the two games after that and with Bruno injured we need him available for the play-offs

If Calde only has a 1 game ban then you make a good point and I totally agree.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the Calde one was a shocking decision. He hardly touched El Oaf, who went for the spectacular, cocked it up and then cried foul. I wonder if the club will dispute it?
Leeds are appealing against Austin's red and I think we should do the same for Calde.
No way we'd appeal because:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yep. We'd be fools to appeal. Imagine getting a frivolous appeal ban added on top? Play Lopez there v Wolves and move on.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
What do you mean If? Of course it's a one game ban

You obviously know better then because I can remember when a straight red was at least a 2 match ban - but I know things have changed but i'm no longer clear on what classes as a 1, 2 or 3 match ban !

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
From my perspective the Austin one was a straight red for the fact that he threw he elbow into Barnes' face. If you look at the play just before it he was involved in a tussel with Barnes who won the ball from austin so in my eyes Austin went tracking back with Barnes determined to get the ball off him and to achieve this he threw his elbow into the face of Barnes. No problem with the red. 3 game ban for violent conduct.

Calde - harsh to say the least. The ref has obviosuly decided that Clade denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity (DOGO for the ref amongst us) from looking at the highlights Diouf was trying to be clever and was going to ground before Calde put his arms out to block him. But also Greer was getting on the line to block any shot and with Pig in the way it would have been unlikely to go in so not really a DOGO. So IMHO may not have been a pen, but can see why the ref gave it (Calde putting arms out did not help) and once he has gvien it is more likely to give the Red. 1 game ban for DOGO

Diouf - a prick at best. Once he has scored he has come over to the fans that have baited him all game and has fallen foul of it. Comes over, hold his genitals in a provocative manner right in front of the lino. Can't comment on his comments as didn't hear it. The lino has bought this to the refs intention and there was only going to be one outcome as his actions could have caused dissorder in the Away section. 3 game ban for foul and or abusive language or insulting behaviour.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You obviously know better then because I can remember when a straight red was at least a 2 match ban - but I know things have changed but i'm no longer clear on what classes as a 1, 2 or 3 match ban !

Deliberate handling of the ball, denying goal scoring opportunity - 1 game ban
Foul and abusive language (including gestures) - 2 game ban
Serious foul play, violent conduct, spitting - 3 game ban

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Very odd. In the time its taken to type that you could have looked it up!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Deliberate handling of the ball, denying goal scoring opportunity - 1 game ban
Foul and abusive language (including gestures) - 2 game ban
Serious foul play, violent conduct, spitting - 3 game ban

What about deliberately handling two balls?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Austin's foul from the stand looked like a forearm smash rather than an elbow and in real time looked like a cynical foul. Calde's foul was difficult to see from where we were as the box was crowded. Diouf scored the penalty and then sauntered over to the away section before the re-kick from the centre circle was taken and we gave him the :tosser: chant. He grabbed his crotch which should have been a yellow card but obviously said something in earshot of the lino who put his flag up straight away.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here