Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black players and homophobia

Yossarian

3rd Battalion
Apr 26, 2013
By the Adur
Interesting that so much has been done in football to try and rid the game of racism, yet amongst players there seems to be a disproportionate amount of homophobia/homophobic abuse by black players; recently Diouf and Kazim Richards at games, less recently Leon Knight's internet rants. I know that some black cultures, particularly the gansta type, can be ultra-macho, so I'm sure this has something to do with it. But it is a paradox that needs addressing in the game if we are to really get anywhere with combatting homophobia. We can argue the role model thing and never agree, but the fact is a lot of young black kids look up to these players (ok, maybe not Leon), so their actions are both hypocritical to an extent (particularly CKR as an ambassador for the Kick it Out campaign), and very damaging. And before anyone starts with the "you can't compare racism with homophobia", try telling that to the victims of violent homophobic attacks.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Why does it suddenly become a race issue if it's black players engaged in homophobia?

Where are the racial discussions when a white player or 'fan' posts an anti-gay tweet or makes an anti-gay gesture?

D

Deleted member 22389

Interesting that so much has been done in football to try and rid the game of racism, yet amongst players there seems to be a disproportionate amount of homophobia/homophobic abuse by black players; recently Diouf and Kazim Richards at games, less recently Leon Knight's internet rants. I know that some black cultures, particularly the gansta type, can be ultra-macho, so I'm sure this has something to do with it. But it is a paradox that needs addressing in the game if we are to really get anywhere with combatting homophobia. We can argue the role model thing and never agree, but the fact is a lot of young black kids look up to these players (ok, maybe not Leon), so their actions are both hypocritical to an extent (particularly CKR as an ambassador for the Kick it Out campaign), and very damaging. And before anyone starts with the "you can't compare racism with homophobia", try telling that to the victims of violent homophobic attacks.

Glad you mentioned this, I wanted to say this Before but could never find the right words. It appears to me like you say that some have a problem with it. They use this against us.

Yossarian

3rd Battalion
Apr 26, 2013
By the Adur
Why does it suddenly become a race issue if it's black players engaged in homophobia?

Where are the racial discussions when a white player or 'fan' posts an anti-gay tweet or makes an anti-gay gesture?

I was making the point about the disproportionate nature as it seems to me (I can't recall any recent examples of non-black players behaving in this way - correct me if I'm wrong), and the cultural link with some black cultures. Of course there is a huge amount of homophobia in some white cultures too, but not from players that I'm aware of. Therefore the role model thing is relevant when debating any form of discrimination.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I see your point, but I think it's fair to say that Diouf, and Knight, and to a lesser extent CKR, are just tools anyway, and hardly a representative group.

Oh, and this thread will only end badly :lolol:

Yossarian

3rd Battalion
Apr 26, 2013
By the Adur
I see your point, but I think it's fair to say that Diouf, and Knight, and to a lesser extent CKR, are just tools anyway, and hardly a representative group.

Oh, and this thread will only end badly :lolol:

They are representative of a section within the black community, but I'm not suggesting for a minute that all black people/players are homophobic as that would be ridiculous. It may end badly but it's the proverbial elephant in the room right now I think.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand

Interesting point made, just loose observations. Diouf and Kazim-Richards are from an Islamic heritage - see views of the The Quran with regards to homosexuality and Leon Knight is from a Jamaican and Saint Lucian background although born in London, see the laws in both countries with regards to homosexuality. Just observations.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was making the point about the disproportionate nature as it seems to me (I can't recall any recent examples of non-black players behaving in this way - correct me if I'm wrong), and the cultural link with some black cultures. Of course there is a huge amount of homophobia in some white cultures too, but not from players that I'm aware of. Therefore the role model thing is relevant when debating any form of discrimination.

Liverpool youngster Suso fined £10,000 by FA for homophobic Twitter outburst | Mail Online

English soccer player Ravel Morrison sends homophobic tweet to fan - Outsports

BBC Sport - Man Utds Federico Macheda fined for homophobic tweets

As in the infamous cases of Robbie Fowler (with Graeme Le Saux) and Brian Clough (with Justin Fashanu), why is a white person's 'white culture' not put under scrutiny when they are homophobic, but 'black culture' is if they are black?

I'm not saying there should be no scrutiny, but an even-playing field is requested.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Bothroyd - not homophobia, just idiotic gangster crap.

post-4683-0-58148700-1366447529.jpg

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Yossarian

3rd Battalion
Apr 26, 2013
By the Adur
Liverpool youngster Suso fined £10,000 by FA for homophobic Twitter outburst | Mail Online

English soccer player Ravel Morrison sends homophobic tweet to fan - Outsports

BBC Sport - Man Utds Federico Macheda fined for homophobic tweets

As in the infamous cases of Robbie Fowler (with Graeme Le Saux) and Brian Clough (with Justin Fashanu), why is a white person's 'white culture' not put under scrutiny when they are homophobic, but 'black culture' is if they are black?

I'm not saying there should be no scrutiny, but an even-playing field is requested.

Fair points, I'm for a balanced debate.

Yossarian

3rd Battalion
Apr 26, 2013
By the Adur
Interesting point made, just loose observations. Diouf and Kazim-Richards are from an Islamic heritage - see views of the The Quran with regards to homosexuality and Leon Knight is from a Jamaican and Saint Lucian background although born in London, see the laws in both countries with regards to homosexuality. Just observations.

As you say, it's not just an Islamic issue in the black community. Some elements of Rastafarianism are also extremely homophobic (not to mention anti Semitic as well). I really don't have an agenda, just think this needs to be openly discussed if we are to try and send a clear message that all discrimination and hate crimes are wrong, not just the politically convenient ones.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's not just an Islamic issue in the black community. Some elements of Rastafarianism are also extremely homophobic (not to mention anti Semitic as well). I really don't have an agenda, just think this needs to be openly discussed if we are to try and send a clear message that all discrimination and hate crimes are wrong, not just the convenient ones.

Undoubtedly, it's true that there is homophobia in the black community. As there is in the white, Indian, Chinese, Turkish, Mongolian, Brazilian etc communities.

In football's macho, laddish culture it's even more prevalent. I don't really see how black homophobia is any different to that of other groups. There haven't been more incidents involving black players, have there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here