Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Poyet Proud of Play-off Achievement

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Gus Poyet admitted that his side’s achievement has already surpassed his wildest dreams as they secured a ticket into the Championship play-offs in Leeds.
The Albion boss told seagulls.co.uk, “We are in the play-offs and we are very happy. At the beginning of the season we knew that we were a better team than last season but we also knew that the Championship was getting more difficult.
“There are plenty of good teams and plenty of parachute payments so there is a lot of money around. We have done very well to get there and that’s credit to the players.
“I wouldn’t have believed this when I came to the club. I’m very positive and try to move forward and try to get to the top but I didn’t expect this.*
"You need to be more than a dreamer - you would need to be a crazy person to think about this when I got the job in 2009, when we were in the relegation zone in League One.
“I don’t stop challenging myself because I always want to get better. I’m never happy with the position in the league and I always want to be higher.
“The only way to do that is by convincing the players week in, week out that they are good enough to reach a play-off position in the Championship.
“It’s incredible and we are not finished yet so we will keep going because we have a great opportunity. We have achieved something very important but we will try to do even better.”
Poyet has challenged his players to finish in the top four with a win on the last day of the season when they host Wolverhampton Wanderers next Saturday, to make certain of a home game for the play-off semi-final second leg.
“It’s very important that we try to finish in fourth because the two play-off games are very different. The first game is always different to the second one because the second one people throw everything at it. The first one is usually more controlled.
“It’s better to have the craziness at home rather than away from home, and you always want to be at your home ground if it goes to penalties, so we’ll see what happens and look at the other results.
“We needed the win today and we did that. The players believed that we had an opportunity today and it was an incredible game, but we took that opportunity which is the most important thing.”
Meanwhile, Poyet hailed the Albion fans for their support throughout the season, which continued at Elland Road.
“We wanted to stay and say thanks because these fans have followed us all season. There have been tough times and times when the club had no money but they have always been here supporting. Now they are going to have a lot of fun in the play-offs, which they deserve.
“We wanted to spend time with them after the game but at the same time we didn’t want to be disrespectful to the Leeds fans because it was their last game at home. It was a difficult situation but they were spectacular today.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here