Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it really Friday and Monday for play-off semis?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Albion have said that - and yet the Football League still refers to the Championship semis as Match A and Match B. Whereas it lists League 1 and 2 as 6th v 3rd, 5th v 4th etc.

Worries me that the club's jumped to conclusions (particularly as the Mon night at The Amex is pretty much the only one I can get to!).

With the Championship games much higher profile and also potentially more volatile (Palace!), it looks like the League may be reserving judgement on who plays when until Sky and the police have had their say.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Those are the dates 4th play 5th, and they are the only 2 possible places we can finish, so yes.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
That is certainly what the league said - it would be decided depending on who was playing. But seems we are sure on the dates now

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Those are the dates 4th play 5th, and they are the only 2 possible places we can finish, so yes.

Did you actually read the post? I know what Albion are saying but they also say 'provisional' and the League do not seem to be anywhere near as certain. If it's Palace, isn't an early kick-off better for the police (i.e. Sunday)? And Sky will want to maximise their ratings.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes - the dates are provisional though - so the league could change their mind ( ie the Police insist we play Palace at the AMEX on the Sunday).

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Although the dates seem to be provisional, why on earth is there only likely to be a 2 day break between the 2 games when the final isn't until the 27th ? Surely having the games a week apart isn't unreasonable giving the players better recovery time after a long season

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
radio just said we play 10th and 13th of may (4th v 5th games)..........is this concrete or able to be moved then?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If it's Palace, then the Police are bound to want it moved to the Sunday.

That's what I'm worried about as Sunday's a bit of a struggle. Mind you, wouldn't that just guarantee there'd be thousands of Palace down on Saturday night for a rumble too?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Although the dates seem to be provisional, why on earth is there only likely to be a 2 day break between the 2 games when the final isn't until the 27th ? Surely having the games a week apart isn't unreasonable giving the players better recovery time after a long season

Good point. I can't see Ulloa (or Vicente!) playing two full matches in the space of three days.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Exactly. That is why the club are still advertising the four dates on the play-off ticket info page on the website.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Surely the "provisional" caveat is because they may wish to adjust the dates/timing depending on who ends up in which spot? Isn't it quite possible that if 4th and 5th do end up being Albion and Palace, the OB will request that the dates are shifted (either to the Thursday/Sunday combo, or some other dates entirely), to avoid a Friday evening derby clash?

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
why would sunday be better than monday?
surely sunday would allow a massive sunday piss up session then carnage sunday night - where as monday would be better........... oh wait most palace a jobless scum so they are probably on the piss all day monday too !!!!!

Don't see the difference in dates to be honest but could see monday "safer" than sunday

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The way the club have listed it is the way it generally works.. but would be interesting to know whether they actually had confirmation from the league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here