Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes: the town they don't want you to leave

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
A few years ago they spent a fortune putting the bridge over the level crossing at Beddingham, much needed because generally railways and trunk roads don't mix well. Great I thought, this will relieve the queueing traffic back to Southerham roundabout every evening. But no, the roundabout is still carnage and I have to almost have a fight with somebody everytime I try and turn right coming from the tunnel and finding my way blocked by lorries going to Newhaven and ignorant people who can't read the words KEEP CLEAR.
In this day and age and other cliches, why wasn't this sorted when the millions were spent?

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Why didn't they continue the dual carriageway to Beddingjam?

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Multi millions they spent on that roundabout and its next to useless, just shunted the evening traffic to queuing to get out of Lewes and queuing on the A27 dual carriageway to get in to Lewes. May have well saved the millions and the millions they spent fighting Falmer, would be the richest council in the country.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Multi millions they spent on that roundabout and its next to useless, just shunted the evening traffic to queuing to get out of Lewes and queuing on the A27 dual carriageway to get in to Lewes. May have well saved the millions and the millions they spent fighting Falmer, would be the richest council in the country.

I don't think your find that Lewes District Council who waged war against Falmer had any input into either the Beddingham flyover or the roundabout.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Lewes DC wouldn't have paid for the Beddingham flyover.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
When a local councillor Norman Baker was (to his credit) very pro-public transport but sadly equally anti-roads. The options for dualling the A27 from Southerham to Polegate got binned during his tenure. Ever since then the A27 has been fudged. For years it really peeved me that many of the casualties on this road were his constituents, and living at Beddingham he was in pole position to see the problems, yet he would prevaricate over improvements. I debated the safety issues re the A27 and A26 etc with him on many occasions over the years but he was intractable.

I now find it sadly ironic that now as a transport minister he is regularly seen in my adopted County talking up the long awaited dualling of the final section of the A11, which is sort of Norfolk's equivalent of the A27, and now under construction. Pity he doesn't show the same enthusiasm on his own doorstep.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here