Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

League guards of honour

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
With Arsenal giving United a guard of honour this weekend, and Arsene saying he wants to uphold British traditions - if it only me that can only remember this happening for just the last few years. I know I have a bad memory, but I can't recall it happening much before. Am I wrong ?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
With Arsenal giving United a guard of honour this weekend, and Arsene saying he wants to uphold British traditions - if it only me that can only remember this happening for just the last few years. I know I have a bad memory, but I can't recall it happening much before. Am I wrong ?

same

Arsene is probably just wanting to keep all the bedwetters happy. The types who use words like DISGRACE, APPALLED, EMBARRASSED

you know, Withdean Wanderer etc

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I remember it happening two years ago when we played Huddersfield, but not when we played Southampton. Other than that, i think it's something that happens but which doesn't get much publicity because it's not that exciting unless the media try to make a story of it for whatever reason.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barry Glendenning made a good point:-

'Utd should be giving Arsenal a Guard of Honour, due to RVP'.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
A nice thing to do for the champions and a good way to show recognition and respect for champions.

Adkins refused to do it for us. Tells you all you need to know about him.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I can recall it happening in the 1970s. And when the Red Filth did it for Chelsea a few seasons ago, old purple nose told his players to remember how painful it was and make sure they didn't have to do it again.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Last season it didnt happen as the game was won on the last game of the season.

I would imgaine it happens a lot but the MSM only allow you to know it happens when two 'Big teams' play eachover.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can recall it happening in the 1970s. And when the Red Filth did it for Chelsea a few seasons ago, old purple nose told his players to remember how painful it was and make sure they didn't have to do it again.

I was at Highbury in the early 90s and they did a guard of honour for, I think Man U, when they clinched the title.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I was at Highbury in the early 90s and they did a guard of honour for, I think Man U, when they clinched the title.

Fair enough - I just don't remember seeing any. Then again, I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night, so what do I know !!

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I remember when Chelsea did it for United and the united team that day was full of youngsters, was hilarious seeing terry clap for Dong

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

More like the other way around if it's 1991 you're referring to. Man United gave a guard of honour to Arsenal when they clinched the League before their match together at Highbury. Earlier in the day, Liverpool had lost to Nottingham Forest which meant they relinquished the title. And of course, the title has never returned to Merseyside. Would love it if one day Man Utd were giving the guard of honour to the Albion at the Amex. What a day that would be... Give it a few years! :clap:

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Interesting question and very topical from last night as follows:

Minis team had a double-header at Chichester last night and won 2-1 and 4-3 and needed only 3 points to win their League which they did so our captain suggested the opposition do a guard of honour for the 2nd game - it fell on deaf ears :ohmy:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Interesting question and very topical from last night as follows:

Minis team had a double-header at Chichester last night and won 2-1 and 4-3 and needed only 3 points to win their League which they did so our captain suggested the opposition do a guard of honour for the 2nd game - it fell on deaf ears :ohmy:

Shame - would have been nice at that age to learn to show some respect and grace. Never mind, minis won the league anyway.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shame - would have been nice at that age to learn to show some respect and grace. Never mind, minis won the league anyway.

The 2nd game descended into the usual U15 binfest as were 3-2 down at half-time and won 4-3, the referee gave a parental and player warning

But Mini did score twice which made Mum proud

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here